dstuart2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A bit of background first.

My parents separated a couple of years ago and currently my mam is living with her partner and my dad has a new partner but is still living in his own house so I planned to use him for my student finance assessment. However, he is no longer letting me use his financial information so I have to use my mam and her partner's information.

Obviously, they are going to earn more money together than my dad will by himself so I'll get less money from my student loans.

The problem is that my mam and her partner are supporting 5 other kids between them and have to pay for a mortgage and other costs associated with general living. They cannot afford to support me at university other than some food every now and again. My dad can't afford to support me either.

I'm waiting for my student finance assessment to come back but I think it's highly possible that it won't even cover my accommodation. Of course I'm going to get a job while I'm there but a minimum wage part time job really isn't going to help me much when I can't even afford a room in my university's accommodation.

I really don't know what to do. Can anyone give any advice?
Sia8Sia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
Sorry that you found yourself in a challenging situation. No matter what don't give up on your dreams and goals, if you are really determined things will fall into place.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...graduate-loans
this website states: "The loan is not means-tested, meaning the amount you can receive does not depend on your financial background. You can choose how much you want to borrow, up to the maximum."
I hope this can assist somehow.
Best wishes!
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dstuart2002)
A bit of background first.

My parents separated a couple of years ago and currently my mam is living with her partner and my dad has a new partner but is still living in his own house so I planned to use him for my student finance assessment. However, he is no longer letting me use his financial information so I have to use my mam and her partner's information.

Obviously, they are going to earn more money together than my dad will by himself so I'll get less money from my student loans.

The problem is that my mam and her partner are supporting 5 other kids between them and have to pay for a mortgage and other costs associated with general living. They cannot afford to support me at university other than some food every now and again. My dad can't afford to support me either.

I'm waiting for my student finance assessment to come back but I think it's highly possible that it won't even cover my accommodation. Of course I'm going to get a job while I'm there but a minimum wage part time job really isn't going to help me much when I can't even afford a room in my university's accommodation.

I really don't know what to do. Can anyone give any advice?
Hi Stuart,

What I would suggest for now until they clarify exactly how much you would be receiving; is to research the area you are looking to stay at. See how much it costs for accommodation overall / termly.

Look at the average prices for food, travel, leisure etc and make a list of roughly what you would spend in a week. You can always go onto Asda or Tesco to make a "shop" in order to get a look at how much your weekly shop would cost.

I have two links I think would also benefit you.

One is a post regarding the average cost of university for a student covering accommodation, food, travel, leisure etc. Click here

The other is a post from myself where I cover how to budget at university so if you need to budget and save as much as possible this is a good way to look at your money moving forward. Click here

I hope this helps!

Patrick :lep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.78%
No (447)
66.22%

Watched Threads