The Student Room Group

6 months Shutdown in UK. what is the situation for universities now?

I have been reading the news. seems UK's shutdown is to last 6 months. 6months from now is october, which means universities may not be open by then. A September start for most post graduate programs might not be possible. will the start for postgraduate programs be delayed to say, January? any input on this yet?
Original post by shashaank94
I have been reading the news. seems UK's shutdown is to last 6 months. 6months from now is october, which means universities may not be open by then. A September start for most post graduate programs might not be possible. will the start for postgraduate programs be delayed to say, January? any input on this yet?

Where did you read about the 6 months? I haven't seen that yet :redface:
Reply 2
just google "UK Shutdown to last 6 months" it's all over the there. :frown:

Shutdown and lockdown may be two different things. Also when I Google it, it comes up with a whole host of time periods (5 weeks, 18 months, 6 months, 12 weeks etc.), so the press are probably just speculating at this point. I recommend waiting for official government releases about this.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Shutdown and lockdown may be two different things. Also when I Google it, it comes up with a whole host of time periods (5 weeks, 18 months, 6 months, 12 weeks etc.), so the press are probably just speculating at this point. I recommend waiting for official government releases about this.

PRSOM

Please remember that 'google' is not a reliable source. It would help to ease your mind if you stick to reliable, verifiable and established sources for news such as the gov.uk website, BBC, newswires such as Reuters or APP etc. :smile:
Hi everyone,
I wouldn't worry too much about all this for the time being if you can help it. Nothing has been confirmed yet and if this was to be true then universities are here to put their students first and will do everything possible to carry on things as normal. Stay safe everyone and we will get through these times together. :smile:
Catherine
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Please remember that 'google' is not a reliable source. It would help to ease your mind if you stick to reliable, verifiable and established sources for news such as the gov.uk website, BBC, newswires such as Reuters or APP etc. :smile:

Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi everyone,
I wouldn't worry too much about all this for the time being if you can help it. Nothing has been confirmed yet and if this was to be true then universities are here to put their students first and will do everything possible to carry on things as normal. Stay safe everyone and we will get through these times together. :smile:
Catherine

yes. the reason I worry is because I come from India, and going for a post graduate program is an expensive affair. I didn't mean to cause panic of any sort. if I did I am sorry. but yes.. it is important to use verifiable news sources and stay positive and safe. thank you :smile:
My course is already all over the place. I'm a PGCE student...and the schools are closed.

Uh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending