I dont know what would be better for me

Watch
DanFautley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So im a year 9 and i just got my GCSE options sheet back with the subjects they gave me about a week ago and i got 3 out of the four i wanted. After the options window was closed i realised i wanted to take Drama instead of Geograpy. My parents got in touch with the teacher that manages all the options and the teacher said he would change Geography for Drama but the sheet ive got is telling me that i still have Geography because its in a block system where you can only choose one subject from each block. This means i have to either get rid of R.E. or Art to replace with Drama but i dont want to get rid of art because its my favourite subject. So should i try to change R.E. for Drama? any advice would be helpful -Dan
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by DanFautley)
So im a year 9 and i just got my GCSE options sheet back with the subjects they gave me about a week ago and i got 3 out of the four i wanted. After the options window was closed i realised i wanted to take Drama instead of Geograpy. My parents got in touch with the teacher that manages all the options and the teacher said he would change Geography for Drama but the sheet ive got is telling me that i still have Geography because its in a block system where you can only choose one subject from each block. This means i have to either get rid of R.E. or Art to replace with Drama but i dont want to get rid of art because its my favourite subject. So should i try to change R.E. for Drama? any advice would be helpful -Dan
Hi Dan,

It can certainly be tricky choosing your GCSEs but it sounds like you are carefully considering your options and getting support already which is really positive. So that you receive a good general education, your school will make sure that you study a broad range of subjects. In general, where you have the opportunity to choose between subjects, try to make a balanced selection in order to keep your options open for the future, if there is a subject you don’t take at GCSE it could still be possible to take it in the future if you go on to further study and you could check this with tutors.

In terms of whether or not to choose RE or Drama and choosing your options in general, it is important to think about how well you think you can do in the subject, how you will be assessed, and how much you enjoy the subject. Check out exactly what you will be studying on the GCSE course too and if the topics interest you. Consider also the skills you will develop on each course, for example usually on a drama course you could be developing self-confidence and team work skills whereas an RE courses is likely to involve more written work but also develop your knowledge and understanding of cultural backgrounds and beliefs, morals and values. It is important to choose what you feel overall is going to suit you best.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ann
AiidanSY
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Pick RE if you want to get into a good sixth form.
Drama and Art are soft subjects, so if you pick them both well you going to struggle to get into a good sixth form.
DanFautley
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi Dan,

It can certainly be tricky choosing your GCSEs but it sounds like you are carefully considering your options and getting support already which is really positive. So that you receive a good general education, your school will make sure that you study a broad range of subjects. In general, where you have the opportunity to choose between subjects, try to make a balanced selection in order to keep your options open for the future, if there is a subject you don’t take at GCSE it could still be possible to take it in the future if you go on to further study and you could check this with tutors.

In terms of whether or not to choose RE or Drama and choosing your options in general, it is important to think about how well you think you can do in the subject, how you will be assessed, and how much you enjoy the subject. Check out exactly what you will be studying on the GCSE course too and if the topics interest you. Consider also the skills you will develop on each course, for example usually on a drama course you could be developing self-confidence and team work skills whereas an RE courses is likely to involve more written work but also develop your knowledge and understanding of cultural backgrounds and beliefs, morals and values. It is important to choose what you feel overall is going to suit you best.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ann
Thanks Ann, that's helped a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (221)
43.68%

Watched Threads