The Student Room Group

I'm dating my brothers best friend and he doesn't approve of us...

So I've been dating my brother's best friend for about 6 months. we ended up in the same university and had known each other for 2 years online but only saw each other face to face when we started uni. Yeah we started to hang out at the start of first semester and he turned out to be amazing and we both love eachother dearly now . when we first started dating we had decided not to tell my brother (his best friend) because we weren't sure if it was a short term thing and it was still fresh. it still is lol.
Anyways we told him this week like 4 days ago and he was shocked and he chose not to believe and he told my boyfriend that he "violated the code" and I told him that it was very unexpected but we're really happy together and he just kept on denying it and told me that i'm ruining his friendships. He threatened me that he would go tell my mum and he just kept on saying "no no no" and he just ignored both of us and hasn't contacted neither my boyfriend or me.....
he made me feel disgusted for dating his best friend like I don't get why he's not happy for me and why he's being really negative. obviously we didn't plan for this to happen. idk guys what are your thoughts and advices.
Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Hopefully with time he will get over himself and realise that if you two are happy together than it doesn't matter what he thinks.
And if he chooses to think selfishly then I don't think he's worth you worrying about. He'll soon realise what he's missing out on.
Be happy, at the end of the day it's your relationship and you deserve to love whoever you want no matter if it's your brothers best friend
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been dating my brother's best friend for about 6 months. we ended up in the same university and had known each other for 2 years online but only saw each other face to face when we started uni. Yeah we started to hang out at the start of first semester and he turned out to be amazing and we both love eachother dearly now . when we first started dating we had decided not to tell my brother (his best friend) because we weren't sure if it was a short term thing and it was still fresh. it still is lol.
Anyways we told him this week like 4 days ago and he was shocked and he chose not to believe and he told my boyfriend that he "violated the code" and I told him that it was very unexpected but we're really happy together and he just kept on denying it and told me that i'm ruining his friendships. He threatened me that he would go tell my mum and he just kept on saying "no no no" and he just ignored both of us and hasn't contacted neither my boyfriend or me.....
he made me feel disgusted for dating his best friend like I don't get why he's not happy for me and why he's being really negative. obviously we didn't plan for this to happen. idk guys what are your thoughts and advices.
Thank you

you must of known he wouldn't be happy, thats why you hid it.

now deal with fallout.
if you can't deal with the fallout you shouldn't have dated him

very few dude's are going to be happy about his best friend ****ing his sister. you must have known this.
I would not let my best mate date my sister. Massive violation and crosses the boundary.
Thank you

Maybe your brother is jealous that you get to spend more time with his friend. Make your brother happy by giving him something he likes
Was it really so difficult in this world of over 7 billion people for you to not stick each other’s bits in your parts and respect your brothers quite reasonable boundaries. Ridiculous
I think it's natural for him to worry, you know, what if you guys broke up and it was awkward? What if his mate ends up hurting you? That could ruin the relationship with his best friend for good. He can't force you to break up but he's thinking how bad the potential fall out could be and I reckon he's got a fair point. Either way, you're all adults and can make your own decisions, just don't be surprised if things turn sour between the three of you if **** hits the fan.
Reply 7
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
I would not let my best mate date my sister. Massive violation and crosses the boundary.

Was it really so difficult in this world of over 7 billion people for you to not stick each other’s bits in your parts and respect your brothers quite reasonable boundaries. Ridiculous

Original post by bones-mccoy
I think it's natural for him to worry, you know, what if you guys broke up and it was awkward? What if his mate ends up hurting you? That could ruin the relationship with his best friend for good. He can't force you to break up but he's thinking how bad the potential fall out could be and I reckon he's got a fair point. Either way, you're all adults and can make your own decisions, just don't be surprised if things turn sour between the three of you if **** hits the fan.

damnnnn well I didn't know it was going to be this much of a problem at first..... so what? should I be apologising that I'm dating a guy who's my brothers best friend? even if he wasn't my brothers bestfriend then I would've still dated him...... in my entire 18 years of life, I have never dated or even looked at a guy seriously, the fact that I chose my brother's best friend to be my boyfriend, is a huge deal and I'm not those type of girls who goes around and ****s guys and breaks up with them. We're in a relationship because we are serious about each other, our chemistry is off the roof and we want to be together and we're just really happy. Just because one person is not happy cause of some "bro code" doesn't mean I'm going to break up with the person who i see myself with in the future! I know my boundaries and my values and I don't go picking up boys easily and my bro knows that...it's not cause I was scared at first, it's cause I wasn't sure that if our relationship had potential for the future but now we both see long term and that is the reason why we only told him now.
Reply 8
Hopefully with time he will get over himself and realise that if you two are happy together than it doesn't matter what he thinks.
And if he chooses to think selfishly then I don't think he's worth you worrying about. He'll soon realise what he's missing out on.
Be happy, at the end of the day it's your relationship and you deserve to love whoever you want no matter if it's your brothers best friend

omd thank you so much for your kind words. My brother knows what kind of girl I am, I have limits, values and respect for myself and people I love. it's not like I did this intentionally.

Thank you
damnnnn well I didn't know it was going to be this much of a problem at first..... so what? should I be apologising that I'm dating a guy who's my brothers best friend? even if he wasn't my brothers bestfriend then I would've still dated him...... in my entire 18 years of life, I have never dated or even looked at a guy seriously, the fact that I chose my brother's best friend to be my boyfriend, is a huge deal and I'm not those type of girls who goes around and ****s guys and breaks up with them. We're in a relationship because we are serious about each other, our chemistry is off the roof and we want to be together and we're just really happy. Just because one person is not happy cause of some "bro code" doesn't mean I'm going to break up with the person who i see myself with in the future! I know my boundaries and my values and I don't go picking up boys easily and my bro knows that...it's not cause I was scared at first, it's cause I wasn't sure that if our relationship had potential for the future but now we both see long term and that is the reason why we only told him now.

So you came onto this platform for what? For people to tell you that what you are doing is alright?
What if you break up, you jeprodise your brothers relationship with his best friend and also yours with your brother.
So you came onto this platform for what? For people to tell you that what you are doing is alright?
What if you break up, you jeprodise your brothers relationship with his best friend and also yours with your brother.

Yes I came into this platform for reassurance and advices that what I'm doing is ok and normal. but y'all are talking like asian parents lol. But like I said I'm with him because I love him and I want to be with him forever. Why do you think couples exist in the world, if everyone was always scared of breaking up in the future then everyone would be single and then human population would decrease and the end of human race lolol ..... but anyhoo he makes me happy and I'm with him! it's that simple. but I respect you opinion but I'm looking here for a advice to make this situation BETTER!
Reply 11
I'm looking here for a advice to make this situation BETTER!

You know full well what to do to make it better, but you just don't want to.....
Yes I came into this platform for reassurance and advices that what I'm doing is ok and normal. but y'all are talking like asian parents lol. But like I said I'm with him because I love him and I want to be with him forever. Why do you think couples exist in the world, if everyone was always scared of breaking up in the future then everyone would be single and then human population would decrease and the end of human race lolol ..... but anyhoo he makes me happy and I'm with him! it's that simple. but I respect you opinion but I'm looking here for a advice to make this situation BETTER!

People on here are only trying to tell you the potential consequences of dating your brother's best friend, no one's saying you're not going to work out. We're just trying to explain your brother's viewpoint.

What I've noticed on here is that people will ask for opinions and then kick off when they don't get the opinion they wanted to hear...which totally defeats the point of asking in the first place

My apologies for giving an opinion you asked for but disagree with. Sorry for not just saying you are right in every action you take. I hope things work for you and your boyfriend, mainly for your brothers sake.
My apologies for giving an opinion you asked for but disagree with. Sorry for not just saying you are right in every action you take. I hope things work for you and your boyfriend, mainly for your brothers sake.

I do love your sarcasim. Thank you
Original post by bones-mccoy
What I've noticed on here is that people will ask for opinions and then kick off when they don't get the opinion they wanted to hear...which totally defeats the point of asking in the first place

Original post by ANM775
You know full well what to do to make it better, but you just don't want to.....

so Breaking up with my boyfriend is going to save everything in this situation?
Reply 17
so Breaking up with my boyfriend is going to save everything in this situation?

It will probably sort out yours and your boyfriends relationship with your brother.
It's an unfortunate situation for everybody. You've got to give your brother time, he at least deserves that. Just put yourself in his shoes and realise how horrible he must be feeling. He will come around eventually, I'm sure of that, but it's going to take time. Meanwhile, make sure that you don't push him too hard to accept it, or flaunt your relationship in front of him. I understand how you feel though and I'm sorry you're having to go through this.
I do love your sarcasim. Thank you

Anytime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending