The Student Room Group

Retaking year 11

Is it possible if re taking year 11 to only re take certain GCSE's? So for example with how the coronavirus has affected this years GCSE's, i don't think i'm going to do very well in computer science, history and english literature, would it be possible to re take the whole year, but only re take those subjects?
Reply 1
No. Students are generally only allowed to re-take Year 11 if they had very significant health issues that prevented their attendance for much of the year and they were unable to take exams. You can re-sit GCSEs exam in Year 12 but, apart from Maths and English Language, it's generally not a good idea.
(edited 4 years ago)
Not at all, as everyone would end up retaking the year due to Coronavirus!
Original post by Canuru
Is it possible if re taking year 11 to only re take certain GCSE's? So for example with how the coronavirus has affected this years GCSE's, i don't think i'm going to do very well in computer science, history and english literature, would it be possible to re take the whole year, but only re take those subjects?

Yeah, you don't need to sit every subject in order to improve just one or two or how ever many subjects you wish to sit the exam for.
Students are allowed to retake GCSEs have you never seen the year 12s retake them or what then. Just do the ones you need. It will be in July.
Original post by Roseyr1119-20
Students are allowed to retake GCSEs have you never seen the year 12s retake them or what then. Just do the ones you need. It will be in July.

You can resist a GCSE, but not retake a whole year because of coronavirus I imagine.
I retook some GCSEs but you'd probably have to find an independent sixth form.
Original post by Hazelly
You can resist a GCSE, but not retake a whole year because of coronavirus I imagine.

Idiot resit means to do the exam! Not to do the whole year.
Original post by Roseyr1119-20
Idiot resit means to do the exam! Not to do the whole year.

I’m hardly being an idiot here, care to explain?
Original post by Hazelly
I’m hardly being an idiot here, care to explain?

Resit means that you do the exam again. You're not allowed to redo the whole year unless you got kicked out.
You're going to have to find an independent sixth form. I go to one and they do GCSE resits but only of core subjects ie Maths and English. It's unlikely you'll be able to resist computer science because it isn't a core subject, unless you pay for the exam yourself
It's not usual to resit GCSEs that aren't english language or maths. (the usual approach to resitting these two would be at college as opposed to repeating year 11. Generally people only repeat year 12 or 13.) As long as you don't need these subjects to progress to college, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

If you feel like you won't be able to perform well enough in most of your GCSEs by the time of the Autumn sitting, you can sit your GCSEs in June 2021, in which case you can take any combination of subjects you like, but will have to talk to your school about this.
Original post by Canuru

Yes you can but you will have to pay for them, not sure about this years resits because of corovirus

Usually 6th forms and colleges will let you do them as long as you do enough hours. Check with them before u commit yourself
Original post by MrMusician95
I retook some GCSEs but you'd probably have to find an independent sixth form.

Independent sixth form! I’m looking to go to one. What were the fees like?
Because of the situation this year- you will be allowed to resist just the exams in the subjects that you feel you didn’t do well enough in.

The exam boards are making arrangements for anyone who wants to to retake at the beginning of the September/October term. Don’t worry it’s not just English and maths that will be available the whole range will.
Original post by Muddypaws1
The exam boards are making arrangements for anyone who wants to to retake at the beginning of the September/October term.

It's in November https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ofqual-gcse-and-a-level-consultation-outcomes-and-autumn-exam-series-proposals
Reply 16
I am an overseas PhD student who recently arrived in the UK. I have a son in year 11 who was admitted to the school on the 8th of February and the examinations are in May. he is very weak in English. can he repeat year 11 in school?
not just the examinations.

Quick Reply

Latest