Advanced higher English vs Advanced higher Spanish

Watch
Nara_shortcake31
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey I am a Scottish student (S3 going in to S4 in June) hoping to apply to medicine and was wondering about Advanced highers (ik it's a long way but I want to be prepared and not have to face huge surprises).

Anyways, my school is trash (failed the school inspection) and don't have many subject options. I was wanting to take 3 advanced highers in S6 because there isn't alot of crash higher options that I am keen and was wondering what the courses are like for English & Spanish.

What kind of stuff do you learn? How are you assessed? What kind of course work is it that you have to do? (projects, dissertation, folio) etc. Anyone that has taken these, which do you think is less time consuming? I also plan on taking Advanced higher Chemistry & biology.

Also any medicine applicants, drop in your subjects, that you have did, hoping to pick up and say how you are getting on. What is the easiest for you and hardest.

I have picked Nat 5 biology, chemistry, English, history, maths & Spanish.

I am naturally good at sciences and languages. I enjoy English and bio alot but chemistry can be boring for me.

I can do maths but I find uninteresting therefore I do struggle same with chemistry.

Hope we can have a good chat considering that we are in a quarantine.
chubchubbs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Nara_shortcake31)
Hey I am a Scottish student (S3 going in to S4 in June) hoping to apply to medicine and was wondering about Advanced highers (ik it's a long way but I want to be prepared and not have to face huge surprises).

Anyways, my school is trash (failed the school inspection) and don't have many subject options. I was wanting to take 3 advanced highers in S6 because there isn't alot of crash higher options that I am keen and was wondering what the courses are like for English & Spanish.

What kind of stuff do you learn? How are you assessed? What kind of course work is it that you have to do? (projects, dissertation, folio) etc. Anyone that has taken these, which do you think is less time consuming? I also plan on taking Advanced higher Chemistry & biology.

Also any medicine applicants, drop in your subjects, that you have did, hoping to pick up and say how you are getting on. What is the easiest for you and hardest.

I have picked Nat 5 biology, chemistry, English, history, maths & Spanish.

I am naturally good at sciences and languages. I enjoy English and bio alot but chemistry can be boring for me.

I can do maths but I find uninteresting therefore I do struggle same with chemistry.

Hope we can have a good chat considering that we are in a quarantine.
Haven't done any AH at the moment S5 going to S6. Its a shame about your school . I picked AH Biology, Chemistry, Maths but I do know a bit about AH English because I have a few friends who did it.

I THINK there are two folios and a discursive one you do in your own time. You have to write a critical essay about a poem you've never seen before in the exam. Nat 5 English to higher is a big change (I enjoyed Higher more) and the jump from H to AH seems to be less from what I heard. Not sure about Spanish (dropped it at Nat 5)

I did Nat 5: Bio, Chem, Geography, Computing, Spanish, Maths, English (got all As). Not saying to do this:lol: but for all the prelims I studied really last minute for them. I think Spanish was the easiest for me (I lived in Spanish speaking countries for a few years) so I managed to get an A with minimal to no studying. Computing was the most stressful as some people just don't know how to code aka me. Biology was my favourite as you get to learn a lot of interesting stuff like the heart etc.

Highers: Geography, Bio, Chem, Maths, English (expect all As) now exams are cancelled! Geography was the hardest for me as I'm just not the best at memorization of features of the landscape. Maths is also one of the BIGGEST jumps from Nat 5 to H, so if you're planning to take it further make sure you can put in the most effort. Bio+Chem link more together at Higher and I enjoyed both of their courses.

PM if you have more questions!
Nara_shortcake31
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by chubchubbs)
Haven't done any AH at the moment S5 going to S6. Its a shame about your school . I picked AH Biology, Chemistry, Maths but I do know a bit about AH English because I have a few friends who did it.

I THINK there are two folios and a discursive one you do in your own time. You have to write a critical essay about a poem you've never seen before in the exam. Nat 5 English to higher is a big change (I enjoyed Higher more) and the jump from H to AH seems to be less from what I heard. Not sure about Spanish (dropped it at Nat 5)

I did Nat 5: Bio, Chem, Geography, Computing, Spanish, Maths, English (got all As). Not saying to do this:lol: but for all the prelims I studied really last minute for them. I think Spanish was the easiest for me (I lived in Spanish speaking countries for a few years) so I managed to get an A with minimal to no studying. Computing was the most stressful as some people just don't know how to code aka me. Biology was my favourite as you get to learn a lot of interesting stuff like the heart etc.

Highers: Geography, Bio, Chem, Maths, English (expect all As) now exams are cancelled! Geography was the hardest for me as I'm just not the best at memorization of features of the landscape. Maths is also one of the BIGGEST jumps from Nat 5 to H, so if you're planning to take it further make sure you can put in the most effort. Bio+Chem link more together at Higher and I enjoyed both of their courses.

PM if you have more questions!
Awesome! Wishing you all the best with your exams!
chubchubbs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Nara_shortcake31)
Awesome! Wishing you all the best with your exams!
No problem! I guess you're talking about my AHs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads