The Student Room Group

I don't want to do my course i applied for anymore

Hi, I applied for speech and language therapy because I really didn't know what i wanted to do with my life. I've got two offers but now i've changed my mind and i really don't want to do it anymore. I want to do pharmacy. I take bio, chem and psych at A-level and i'm not amazing at chemistry either but i want to do pharmacy.So I don't know what I should do? is it too late? does pharmacy come up in clearing? or should i just wait a year and apply next year? is it worth it?
Chemistry is the required A level which does imply that it is pretty key to the degree. Are you likely to get the required grades?
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
Chemistry is the required A level which does imply that it is pretty key to the degree. Are you likely to get the required grades?

Most unis require a grade B and i'm getting mostly B's and C's and now that my teacher is deciding my final grade I might still achieve a grade B.
Are you sure you want to do pharmacy and have done in depth research about the course and the career? Make sure you love it. It will definitely include a lot of chemistry, so it’s imperative that you find that interesting. If so, I think you can withdraw any applications that you haven’t heard back from yet and use those to apply elsewhere. If you’ve heard back from them all/ used all 5 options, they you may need to apply for next years admissions. However, I’m not entirely sure - as there may be clearing, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Academicbee123
Are you sure you want to do pharmacy and have done in depth research about the course and the career? Make sure you love it. It will definitely include a lot of chemistry, so it’s imperative that you find that interesting. If so, I think you can withdraw any applications that you haven’t heard back from yet and use those to apply elsewhere. If you’ve heard back from them all/ used all 5 options, they you may need to apply for next years admissions. However, I’m not entirely sure - as there may be clearing, etc.

Yeah I've done my research and I do like the sound of it. I can deal with chemistry but not the best if you know what I mean - been getting B's and C's. However, I don't have any work experience and I was planning on getting some in the summer but I can't anymore due to the virus. If i do have to go through clearing then will that be a drawback of me as a candidate?
Original post by broman12
Yeah I've done my research and I do like the sound of it. I can deal with chemistry but not the best if you know what I mean - been getting B's and C's. However, I don't have any work experience and I was planning on getting some in the summer but I can't anymore due to the virus. If i do have to go through clearing then will that be a drawback of me as a candidate?

I assume that B or C would be decent for pharmacy, although it depends on the uni. I don’t think so. If I was you I’d have a look at what unis offered clearing for pharmacy last year, as they might this year too. Then choose which ones you like and make a record of their clearing details, number etc. On the day, make sure you ring them straight away as you’ll be more likely to get into the one you want most.
Reply 6
Original post by Academicbee123
I assume that B or C would be decent for pharmacy, although it depends on the uni. I don’t think so. If I was you I’d have a look at what unis offered clearing for pharmacy last year, as they might this year too. Then choose which ones you like and make a record of their clearing details, number etc. On the day, make sure you ring them straight away as you’ll be more likely to get into the one you want most.

Thank you so much! I hope it goes ok. I have no idea what's going on anymore with clearing and stuff. Would the course not be overfilled thats my worry due to people getting predicted grades?
Thank you so much! I hope it goes ok. I have no idea what's going on anymore with clearing and stuff. Would the course not be overfilled thats my worry due to people getting predicted grades?

Hopefully not, fingers crossed. There will probably be some places left, although you may have less selection over which unis, so you might find that only the lower unis have places left. Although, this is only speculation and could be completely wrong!
Another option could be applying next year(if you don’t like any of the unis offering places).
Hopefully you’ll get the outcome you want :smile:
You dont need to wait for clearing. If you are sure its Pharmacy you want to do then you can decline ALL your offers and apply through ucas extra now. You can only apply to 1 university at a time. If 1 rejects you or you dont want to accept the offer then you can reply for another. Go into ucas course search and look at only course with vacancies then you can apply. Normally it is adviseable to ring the university before applying but in the present circumstances you might need to email.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
You dont need to wait for clearing. If you are sure its Pharmacy you want to do then you can decline ALL your offers and apply through ucas extra now. You can only apply to 1 university at a time. If 1 rejects you or you dont want to accept the offer then you can reply for another. Go into ucas course search and look at only course with vacancies then you can apply. Normally it is adviseable to ring the university before applying but in the present circumstances you might need to email.

I did think about this but I thought against it as my teachers told me that pharmacy is unlikely to be offered through extra so it's very risky. Also, how can i find courses with vaccancies as i tried the ucas course search and its just coming up with all the unis that offer pharmacy not the ones that have vaccancies and that are in extra?
I did think about this but I thought against it as my teachers told me that pharmacy is unlikely to be offered through extra so it's very risky. Also, how can i find courses with vaccancies as i tried the ucas course search and its just coming up with all the unis that offer pharmacy not the ones that have vaccancies and that are in extra?

The trouble is universities dont always take subjects off so that is why you normally ring but you might be best sending off emails. What grades are you likely to get in what subjects. Check that against the requirements then send off emails with something along the lines of
I am considering applying to your university through ucas extra. The subjects I am taking are Chemistry B Biology A Psychology C.

Do you still have vacancies and would you still consider my application.
Reply 11
Original post by swanseajack1
The trouble is universities dont always take subjects off so that is why you normally ring but you might be best sending off emails. What grades are you likely to get in what subjects. Check that against the requirements then send off emails with something along the lines of
I am considering applying to your university through ucas extra. The subjects I am taking are Chemistry B Biology A Psychology C.

Do you still have vacancies and would you still consider my application.

Thank you so much, i'll do this now. :smile:
Reply 12
Thank you! I'll need it!

Quick Reply

Latest