Latoya1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am considering dropping out of 6th form, and instead starting a level 3 apprenticeship, I am finding it hard to get information on what levels are equivalent to what etc... if anyone could help me find what level apprenticeship would be most suitable (I have 5 GCSES) and also let me know how I could develop from that to a degree level apprenticeship, that would be much appreciated thanks!
Joe1000000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A Level 3 Apprenticeship is officially equivalent to A Levels, which are also a Level 3 qualification. This web page may have more information that could help you.
Latoya1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joe1000000)
A Level 3 Apprenticeship is officially equivalent to A Levels, which are also a Level 3 qualification. This web page may have more information that could help you.
Thank you!!
Miss2002!!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i want to drop out of 6th form as well, finding it so hard and its making me depressed. do you know if you can go college after the summer and just do btec as my gcse coursework were like 8 and 9s ?
Latoya1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miss2002!!)
i want to drop out of 6th form as well, finding it so hard and its making me depressed. do you know if you can go college after the summer and just do btec as my gcse coursework were like 8 and 9s ?
From what I’ve heard already I can’t think of any reason why you wouldn’t be able to do that,
Depending on what they are like to your head of year (obviously you will have to email them or something) they should be very helpful, or try to find emails of teachers at the college you are thinking of going to.
Good luck
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I didn’t do my A-levels and went into a degree apprenticeship after a level 3 apprenticeship in a different field of work, but both engineering. So it’s possible. In fact, you’ll be favoured if it’s relevant to the L3 experience you have.

The only thing is that it’s a battle to get up to speed with the fundamentals they teach you in A-level when you start a degree apprenticeship. I had struggled to get up to speed with Math in 1st year uni and it was really stressing. Got through it in the end!

Another L3 apprentice I worked with went on to full time university, they asked him to do a foundation year to learn the maths first. With his year in industry, it’s actually taken us both 5 years to finish a BEng, despite him studying full-time and me part-time.
Hope this helps
Last edited by Chris2892; 6 months ago
Pandagirlx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am in sixth form after summer!
Want to do uni in 2025
Latoya1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris2892)
I didn’t do my A-levels and went into a degree apprenticeship after a level 3 apprenticeship in a different field of work, but both engineering. So it’s possible. In fact, you’ll be favoured if it’s relevant to the L3 experience you have.

The only thing is that it’s a battle to get up to speed with the fundamentals they teach you in A-level when you start a degree apprenticeship. I had struggled to get up to speed with Math in 1st year uni and it was really stressing. Got through it in the end!

Another L3 apprentice I worked with went on to full time university, they asked him to do a foundation year to learn the maths first. With his year in industry, it’s actually taken us both 5 years to finish a BEng, despite him studying full-time and me part-time.
Hope this helps
thanks, that's a big help!
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Latoya1)
I am considering dropping out of 6th form, and instead starting a level 3 apprenticeship, I am finding it hard to get information on what levels are equivalent to what etc... if anyone could help me find what level apprenticeship would be most suitable (I have 5 GCSES) and also let me know how I could develop from that to a degree level apprenticeship, that would be much appreciated thanks!
Hi there, hoping I can offer some info here.

When you finish GCSEs most people look at level 3 apprenticeships as GCSE grades 9-4 are a level 2 qualification and grades 3-1 are a level 1.

Having said that, there is also no harm in applying for level 2 apprenticeships even if you do have your GCSEs at level 2. Chances are the type of apprenticeship you are applying for you will not have studied or have a great deal of experience in so to help you get to grips with the basics some do start at level 2 and progress onto the level 3.

In some apprenticeships you can then go from 3 up to levels 4 and 5 which are higher apprenticeships and level 6 which is degree apprenticeships level. Not all apprenticeships go up to degree level so you would need to check this out, if you let me know what type of apprenticeships you're interested in I can look into the highest you can go in terms of level of qualification.

Thanks - Sophie.
Azurekalyani
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Latoya1)
saame! im in the same position as you i think dropping out was the best decision ive made for me. On the TSR cagotgories up top go on career and jobs and click apprenticeships it can help you a bit. you could also look at youtube vids they help too

but for the levels:
Level 2 = GCSE
Level 3 = A level
Level 4= foundation degree

this can go all the way to level 7 or above

you can look at sites like gov.uk, indeed, LinkedIn. etc to look for apprenticeships.

can also this might help too https://www.careersnearhere.com/ (a teacher recommended it to me)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.73%
I'm not sure (16)
3.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (151)
33.71%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.79%
I'm not a current university student (207)
46.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed