What's the difference between scores, composition, symphony and sonata?:hmmmm:
what kinds of scores /symphony/etc would be similar to Nocturne? :ta:
Last edited by username4648086; 1 year ago
nzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A composition is just a piece of music written by a composer.

A score refers to the actual notated music written down by a composer, which can then be read and performed by musicians. Scores are used in all genres and styles of music and for any instrument.

A symphony is a specific type of composition written for, more or less, an entire orchestra. Symphonies are seen as serious pieces of music, sort of landmarks in a composer's career. There's not a single musical style which a symphony has to be in, but they're generally in 4 movements, the first of which follows a structure called 'sonata form'.

A sonata is also another type of composition which, nowadays at least, refers to a piece for a single solo instrument, rather than an entire orchestra, usually accompanied by the piano, . Some sonatas are written specifically for solo piano, and in them the piano accompanies itself whilst also playing its solo part. Like symphonies, sonatas are also in multiple movements - mostly 3 to 4 - the first of which again is usually in 'sonata form'.

'Nocturne', on the other hand, is a much looser term which composers just give to compositions that are meant to evoke the night. Most nocturnes are single-movement pieces and the term is more commonly used to refer to solo piano, but can also refer to pieces for any instrument, voice or orchestra. Composers can even whack the name 'nocturne' on a specific movement in a multi-movement piece of music.
Last edited by nzy; 1 year ago
username4648086
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by nzy)
A composition is just a piece of music written by a composer.

A score refers to the actual notated music written down by a composer, which can then be read and performed by musicians. Scores are used in all genres and styles of music and for any instrument.

A symphony is a specific type of composition written for, more or less, an entire orchestra. Symphonies are seen as serious pieces of music, sort of landmarks in a composer's career. There's not a single musical style which a symphony has to be in, but they're generally in 4 movements, the first of which follows a structure called 'sonata form'.

A sonata is also another type of composition which, nowadays at least, refers to a piece for a single solo instrument, rather than an entire orchestra, usually accompanied by the piano, . Some sonatas are written specifically for solo piano, and in them the piano accompanies itself whilst also playing its solo part. Like symphonies, sonatas are also in multiple movements - mostly 3 to 4 - the first of which again is usually in 'sonata form'.

'Nocturne', on the other hand, is a much looser term which composers just give to compositions that are meant to evoke the night. Most nocturnes are single-movement pieces and the term is more commonly used to refer to solo piano, but can also refer to pieces for any instrument, voice or orchestra. Composers can even whack the name 'nocturne' on a specific movement in a multi-movement piece of music.
:ta: sooo much for really detailed explanation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (94)
38.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.46%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7%

Watched Threads