The Student Room Group

Cambridge University or St Andrews for an EU student

Hi! I am in need of some advice regarding which uni to consider for this upcoming fall, and I have two options;

1. Cambridge HSPS, at Wolfson College (mature undergraduate) - obvs very happy to have gotten an offer but questioning if I will be able to handle the workload + question if the "mature" colleges are any fun, as I may be 21 but still feel young if you will. Will have to pay the regular EU fees.

2. St Andrews, Social Anthropology.
Like the look of a flexible degree system, + the seemingly more balanced workload. They have not confirmed fees for 2020 but if it stays the same it will be considerably less than cambridge. Question though how much weight a degree from there will carry, considering I may not stay in the uk afterwards and go back to home (Sweden)

I realize there are hundreds of these "lost" students here on tsr and kinda feel bad for asking but in need of some advice. Cambridge that much better? What do you reckon? Thanks /Löv
Personally I would say to go where you feel you could do better and where you would enjoy more. Both are very good universities and Cambridge does have “status” with it, that’s undeniable, but what matters is how you would feel studying there and if you would feel less stressed both financially and academically at St Andrews then I would consider going there. 😊
If you are EU, ST Andrews would be free so if finance is an issue, I would choose St Andrews. I also know a lot of ST Andrews social anthropology graduates who have done very well. However, Cambridge has unique kudos.
Honestly, there isn't a lot in it. Both are good options. I would say Cambridge has a very slight edge simply as it is Cambridge. However, they are similar enough that either way you will be fine. Go for the one with the course which you would be happiest in because they are both fantastic universities. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest