The Student Room Group

Should I study Chemistry at University?

Chemistry is a fantastic subject to study at university. It's really diverse and allows you to gain a variety of skills that will benefit you whatever profession or industry you decide to enter after university.

If you've got any questions about studying chemistry at university post on this thread an I'll get back to you.

Best wishes,

Emma
(4th Year MChem Chemistry student at the University of Reading).
How intense is the workload in your Chemistry course and is it manageable? How much free time do you have outside of academic-related activities?
Original post by NikolaTodorov
How intense is the workload in your Chemistry course and is it manageable? How much free time do you have outside of academic-related activities?

Hi,

The workload for a sciences degree is generally heavier than some of the other subjects you could study. In my first year I was having about 20 hours of contact time per week whilst my flatmates who did other courses had about 8 hours. However, the workload is absolutely manageable. It's important to be organised and stay on top of your learning and deadlines but it's not too excessive so that you have to spend all your time working
Generally I found that I could always do other things around my studies, and so have all my peers. Alongside my degree I've always completed part-time work - at least a few hours per week, and also volunteered for a few hours each week. Some of my peers play several sports alongside their chemistry studies, or do other societies.

I hope that helps? If there's anything else you'd like to know about studying Chemistry at university don't hesitate to get in touch. :smile:

Emma
(4th Year Chemistry student at University of Reading).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending