The Student Room Group

Law careers - must be a LLB?

Do you need a law degree (LLB) to be a lawyer

What percentage of lawyers didn’t do law at undergraduate level?

I have an International relations offer from St Andrews and a law offer from Edinburgh.

I think the IR course will be more interesting but still want to have the option of being a lawyer later in the future.

Is a law degree necessary or would a 2 year post grad be enough at graduate entry at uni of Glasgow for example.
Reply 1
Original post by Aabb123
Do you need a law degree (LLB) to be a lawyer

What percentage of lawyers didn’t do law at undergraduate level?

I have an International relations offer from St Andrews and a law offer from Edinburgh.

I think the IR course will be more interesting but still want to have the option of being a lawyer later in the future.

Is a law degree necessary or would a 2 year post grad be enough at graduate entry at uni of Glasgow for example.

You might want to state specifically if you want to practice in England or Scotland. I believe around 50% of those entering training contracts in England have non law degrees.
Reply 2
Probably Scotland, but I would do a conversion to Common Law if I wanted to base myself in England.
You don't need a law degree, they have post-grad conversion courses (GDLs, though if you're planning on becoming a solicitor these will be gradually phased out by the SQE exam, in which a conversion course is not needed) for those that wish to pursue law later on.
Go for the degree that you'll find more interesting/do better in.
Reply 4
Thanks for your advice, I’m gonna do the degree that interest me more and then do the conversion later on, if I want to be a lawyer after my undergraduate degree

Quick Reply