University choices: UEA, Manchester or Lancaster

Watch
StephieSang
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which one I should pick? Manchester, Lancaster or UEA?

I am an Argentine Student going to study in the UK this year and hold offers for:

Manchester - English Literature
Lancaster - Literature, Creative Writing and Practice
University of East Anglia - Eng lit with Creative Writing

I am leaning towards Manchester, but I would need to give up on Creative Writing, and I don't know if its worth it.
I don't know how graduating from Manchester would affect my career prospects compared to Lancaster, or if Creative Writing is of any use in regards to employment.
Thanks!
Last edited by StephieSang; 1 year ago
oliviawilsonnn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would primarily check university rankings and employment rates if I were you. I would look at the one that would give you the best employment prospects after your degree. If you think a degree in English literature is the most valued, go for that. However, if you won't enjoy a course it seems sad to take up that offer, do the course at the university that most appeals to you. Have you visited them, is there one where you can picture yourself?
StephieSang
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by oliviawilsonnn)
I would primarily check university rankings and employment rates if I were you. I would look at the one that would give you the best employment prospects after your degree. If you think a degree in English literature is the most valued, go for that. However, if you won't enjoy a course it seems sad to take up that offer, do the course at the university that most appeals to you. Have you visited them, is there one where you can picture yourself?
Thank you for the reply! I’ve checked TQS rankings on employability and Manchester is 35 worldwide while Lancaster is in the 200s (yes, big difference). Right now Manchester appeals to me more, but I guess it has to do more because I am interested in getting to know the city as well. Yes, I’ll be a little bit sad to give up creative writing, but I checked Manchester’s modules and there a few opportunities to lean more into writing (there are modules of writing fiction within the literature degree) so I wouldn’t be sacrificing much it seems.
I never visited, so all I know is thanks to the web and some people that I know have visited or lived in UK.
Last edited by StephieSang; 1 year ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your universities are very different. Manchester is a city university in the middle of one of the UKs biggest cities. Lancaster is an out of town modern campus university in a small town and UEA is between them. You need to decide which one you prefer. I wouldnt take too much notice on QS rankings. These tend to favour universities that are older and in bigger cities and are often based on research which doesnt affect most undergraduate students. You need to decide things on what course you prefer and where would you feel most comfortable.

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...eative-writing
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...nkings/english
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings
Last edited by swanseajack1; 1 year ago
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StephieSang)
Which one I should pick? Manchester, Lancaster or UEA?

I am an Argentine Student going to study in the UK this year and hold offers for:

Manchester - English Literature
Lancaster - Literature, Creative Writing and Practice
University of East Anglia - Eng lit with Creative Writing

I am leaning towards Manchester, but I would need to give up on Creative Writing, and I don't know if its worth it.
I don't know how graduating from Manchester would affect my career prospects compared to Lancaster, or if Creative Writing is of any use in regards to employment.
Thanks!
Hey!

I'm Charlie, one of the Lancaster University student ambassadors on here! I'm currently in my 2nd year of a degree in Finance & Economics.

I would recommend that you go with what you would most enjoy - a degree is 3 years of your life!

According to the Complete University Guide Lancaster is top for Creative Writing (https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...eative-writing ). There is also great careers support available throughout the course of your degree! https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...-qw38/#careers

If you have any other questions about the course, or just about student life here at Lancaster, be sure to let me know!

Charlie
yotsr123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this thread should be helpful for you! If it was helpful, feel free to tell me in the thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6424786
oliviawilsonnn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StephieSang)
Thank you for the reply! I’ve checked TQS rankings on employability and Manchester is 35 worldwide while Lancaster is in the 200s (yes, big difference). Right now Manchester appeals to me more, but I guess it has to do more because I am interested in getting to know the city as well. Yes, I’ll be a little bit sad to give up creative writing, but I checked Manchester’s modules and there a few opportunities to lean more into writing (there are modules of writing fiction within the literature degree) so I wouldn’t be sacrificing much it seems.
I never visited, so all I know is thanks to the web and some people that I know have visited or lived in UK.
I would definitely choose Manchester then! Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise