What are your opinions on anarchism?

Watch
chesslover246
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Personally I'm a fervent proponent of it. I think that if the government wasn't there, and we thought for ourselves, we could crave so much more meaning out of our lives, since there are no powers that be to compel us to do things even if they go against our will.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to know.
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name a country where it has happened and everybody was fine with it and still going with it 5 years on by choice.
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought as much.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chesslover246)
Personally I'm a fervent proponent of it. I think that if the government wasn't there, and we thought for ourselves, we could crave so much more meaning out of our lives, since there are no powers that be to compel us to do things even if they go against our will.

What are your thoughts? I'd like to know.
The lack of a government will inevitably lead to a new government. I don't see how anarchy could ever truly be achieved unless you kill almost everyone.

When there is no government people will group up for their mutual protection. When people group up they will create rules and a means to enforce them. At that point they've created a government.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great way to trim down the population and bring mad max to life but other than that its worthless.
AnonymousNoMore
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think any implementation of it would be a complete failure of morality and ethics
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Recipe for utter mayhem.
Too many anarchists are violent or lhp loonies.
Aye5ha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Far too utopian
myst451
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think lack of formal govt will inevitably lead to informal govt. It's just human nature and the perceived need for practical leadership - look at how we organise clubs and committees etc... there's always a few people taking a bit more control to ensure everything runs smoothly. Anarchism sounds like a lovely idea but the potential for government to emerge unofficially is much more terrifying and insidious to me than a recognised government.
username5218946
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Marxists and anarchists ultimately share the same goal (there are some differences, but the general idea is the same) - a stateless, moneyless and classless society. The main difference between the two ideologies is that anarchists see the state as something that exists solely to protect capitalism and actively seek to abolish it, while Marxists see the state as an inevitable product of class struggle and it will wither away when it is no longer needed.

The problem with anarchism is that there is no way to adequately protect yourself against counter-revolution without a state - the most successful, large-scale 'anarchist' societies in history had work camps, conscription, secret police, etc. Of course, they didn't call it a state, but you don't abolish the state by calling it something else.

Furthermore, Marxist revolutions have always been far more successful than anarchist revolutions. Anarchism is yet to prove itself to be effective; Marxism has consistently produced long-lasting societies with a far better quality of life for those living there than what they had before.

I don't think anarchism is a bad idea (and it's excellent in comparison to capitalism), but Marxism is a far more practical path to take in the vast majority of cases.
Last edited by username5218946; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads