The Student Room Group

is there a possibility I may lose my grad scheme due to covid 19?

Hi I’ve got a grad scheme that starts after my bachelors degree and was wondering if the covid 19 outbreak could effect me starting this role.
Original post by tanahm
Hi I’ve got a grad scheme that starts after my bachelors degree and was wondering if the covid 19 outbreak could effect me starting this role.

Have you got a formal contract , which you accepted and signed?

Depending how covid19 goes then yes it could in theory affect you, but depends what happens and what decisions are made by the company.
If they decide they dont want you and you havent signed, they just withdraw the offer.
If they decide they dont want you, but you have signed then they just terminate your contract by the notice period.
If they decide they wnat you, but just not at the moment they could postpone you.

Nobody knows what will happen with covid 19 at the moment.
Have you had any update since?
Original post by tanahm

Potentially, yes, but the company would let you know if this was the case.

Have you had a formal offer and signed your contract?
Reply 4
Got an email a month ago saying once the workflow starts to return to normal that they’d give me a start date
Reply 5
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Potentially, yes, but the company would let you know if this was the case.

Have you had a formal offer and signed your contract?

Yup I had signed a formal contract. They’ve told me now that they’d give me a start date once work has returned to normal. But I have no idea when that would be
Original post by tanahm
Yup I had signed a formal contract. They’ve told me now that they’d give me a start date once work has returned to normal. But I have no idea when that would be

Hmm, if they are pushing back your start date then that's not idea- especially as you'd be without pay in that time. Did your contract give a start date and has it already passed?

As a first step, I'd contact them again and ask, given the fact that lockdown is easing, if they have any firm idea of when your start date would be.

If they can't give you a firm start date, I would start looking for other options, just in case- because there is a chance that workflow may not return to normal for some time or it may never do so. If you get to the stage of an interview or especially a job offer, I might let the other company know, because it might force their hand in terms of giving you a firm start date and you could then make a decision.

I'd also be staying in contact with the company, asking for updates on at least a monthly basis.

I'm sorry you're in this situation- it must be stressful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending