The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Unfair KCL MSc rejection?

I have recently been notified that a Msc programme at KCL rejected. However the reason they rejected me is: your academic qualifications don’t meet our entry requirements. However on the programme page, only a 2:1 was required (didn’t mention 60% above all years like some other programmers did). I have achieved 55 in my first year but it doesn’t count towards my degree at all, and in my second year I averaged 63, now I’m in my third year I only had one unit back and I achieved 67. I know there are other good applicants and I would have accepted other reasons for the rejection but rejecting me because I didn’t meet the academic entry requirement? Anyone can help please
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Emilcheung
I have recently been notified that a Msc programme at KCL rejected. However the reason they rejected me is: your academic qualifications don’t meet our entry requirements. However on the programme page, only a 2:1 was required (didn’t mention 60% above all years like some other programmers did). I have achieved 55 in my first year but it doesn’t count towards my degree at all, and in my second year I averaged 63, now I’m in my third year I only had one unit back and I achieved 67. I know there are other good applicants but rejecting me because I didn’t meet the academic entry requirement? Anyone can help please

I would try to contact Admissions at KCL and ask for further clarification as to why they rejected you? At the same time I would be pragmatic about accepting that they probably won't change their mind as the 2:1 is just a minimum requirement and they don't have to accept everyone that gets a 2:1. Kings is more competitive than most other unis so I would look at alternatives.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
What programme was it?
Reply 3
If it’s for law I just had a look and it does indeed say that you must have achieved 65% or above and that meeting the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee admission. It sounds like you haven’t met the criteria and even if you had they could use their discretion to reject your application for another reason.
Reply 4
Original post by giella
If it’s for law I just had a look and it does indeed say that you must have achieved 65% or above and that meeting the minimum entry requirements does not guarantee admission. It sounds like you haven’t met the criteria and even if you had they could use their discretion to reject your application for another reason.

It’s not for law tho, it’s international development and it only said 2:1. I don’t understand why they would say I didn’t meet academic entry requirement tho
Moved to Kings College London forum
Reply 6
Maybe it has to have been achieved rather than predicted.
It’s not for law tho, it’s international development and it only said 2:1. I don’t understand why they would say I didn’t meet academic entry requirement tho

Is your undergraduate degree in a relevant subject?
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
Is your undergraduate degree in a relevant subject?

Yes
Even current students have to achieve over 65% in their final year of BSc to be accepted onto their programmes MSci option... so it doesn’t really sound unfair. Have you looked at the university entry requirements (as opposed to just the programmes) for Masters degrees because our professors said that for a masters within the university we need to have achieved >65% (and that’s just to be considered- doesn’t guarantee acceptance)
Reply 10
Original post by supergrad
Even current students have to achieve over 65% in their final year of BSc to be accepted onto their programmes MSci option... so it doesn’t really sound unfair. Have you looked at the university entry requirements (as opposed to just the programmes) for Masters degrees because our professors said that for a masters within the university we need to have achieved >65% (and that’s just to be considered- doesn’t guarantee acceptance)

Each programme is different? Some programmed do mention 65 and some only require 60
I have recently been notified that a Msc programme at KCL rejected. However the reason they rejected me is: your academic qualifications don’t meet our entry requirements. However on the programme page, only a 2:1 was required (didn’t mention 60% above all years like some other programmers did). I have achieved 55 in my first year but it doesn’t count towards my degree at all, and in my second year I averaged 63, now I’m in my third year I only had one unit back and I achieved 67. I know there are other good applicants and I would have accepted other reasons for the rejection but rejecting me because I didn’t meet the academic entry requirement? Anyone can help please

The same thing happened to me. Are there any updates?

Quick Reply

Latest