MollyBarkerX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
What are the 3 points of evidence for mass flow associated with the companion cell and then what is the evidence for mass flow associated with the phloem?
Renn0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Evidence of mass flow associated with the phloem are that:
1) When the phloem is broken sap flows out indicating an outward pressure
2) There is a higher concentration of sugar in the source (leave cells) than in the sink (root cells)
3) Increases in sugar conc. in the leaves lead to a similar increase in sugar conc. in a phloem
4) Flow in the phloem occurs in the day but ceases at night
Evidence for mass flow associated with the companion cell:
1) companion cells have lots of mitochondria and produce lots of ATP (for active transport of sugars, therefore creating low water potential in phloem)
I'm not sure about the other 2 points of evidence. Perhaps that companion cells surround the seive tube elements? Hope this helped though
MollyBarkerX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Renn0)
Evidence of mass flow associated with the phloem are that:
1) When the phloem is broken sap flows out indicating an outward pressure
2) There is a higher concentration of sugar in the source (leave cells) than in the sink (root cells)
3) Increases in sugar conc. in the leaves lead to a similar increase in sugar conc. in a phloem
4) Flow in the phloem occurs in the day but ceases at night
Evidence for mass flow associated with the companion cell:
1) companion cells have lots of mitochondria and produce lots of ATP (for active transport of sugars, therefore creating low water potential in phloem)
I'm not sure about the other 2 points of evidence. Perhaps that companion cells surround the seive tube elements? Hope this helped though
Thankyou!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (285)
56.21%
I don't have everything I need (222)
43.79%

Watched Threads