Anorexia hospitalisation and med school

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Posted here as want anon. I was doing a lot better but at the moment things are pretty bad and the Coronavirus outbreak is really affecting my anorexia and people are a bit worried. I have medicine offers and I was wondering what would happen with med school if things got really bad like would they let you defer or not?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could ask them if you could defer
Or I know people in my year started and within a couple of weeks needed a MH break essentially and so they were given permission to skip the year and start again the following year
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Posted here as want anon. I was doing a lot better but at the moment things are pretty bad and the Coronavirus outbreak is really affecting my anorexia and people are a bit worried. I have medicine offers and I was wondering what would happen with med school if things got really bad like would they let you defer or not?
Yes, they would most likely let you defer.

If you wanted to double-check, why not call / email and ask anonymously?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
You could ask them if you could defer
Or I know people in my year started and within a couple of weeks needed a MH break essentially and so they were given permission to skip the year and start again the following year
Thanks - I’m trying to sort it all out just don’t know but I may well talk it through with my therapist and my family first - I had been getting on top of my anorexia then COVID 19 came along and has literally taken me to such a bad place
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes, they would most likely let you defer.

If you wanted to double-check, why not call / email and ask anonymously?
Thanks. I possibly will - how do you ask anonymously though as won’t they have your details
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. I possibly will - how do you ask anonymously though as won’t they have your details
Just call them and ask "I have an offer but can I defer for (mental / physical) health reasons?" You don't have to give your name.

Phones may not be manned in COVID-19 crisis though. It may be worthwhile just signing up for an email just to ask this question.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Just call them and ask "I have an offer but can I defer for (mental / physical) health reasons?" You don't have to give your name.

Phones may not be manned in COVID-19 crisis though. It may be worthwhile just signing up for an email just to ask this question.
Thanks - like a random email address?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks - like a random email address?
Yep, but make sure you have access to check that email address.

Otherwise you may as well call them and ask, but hang up before they tell you the answer!!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
i’m literally in EXACTLY the same situation as you, so you’re not alone in this. i’m thinking of speaking to my head of sixth form and asking if i can retake year 13 (gotta get some control back), and if not then i’ll email the unis and ask if i can defer x
Anonymous #1
i’m literally in EXACTLY the same situation as you, so you’re not alone in this. i’m thinking of speaking to my head of sixth form and asking if i can retake year 13 (gotta get some control back), and if not then i’ll email the unis and ask if i can defer x
I’m slightly worried I could be admitted to a unit. My grades aren’t the problem but just me. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (14)
15.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
18.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (30)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
17.78%

Watched Threads