The Student Room Group

WTF to do next

Before the corona outbreak i was in a bad position anyway, graduated half a year ago, severely depressed, no passions anymore or real job prospects, don't want to work in the field i graduated (architecture). No responses to job applications, i did just a couple of very short and crappy gigs since graduation. All the ones i apply to fill me with dread, i can't seem to suck it up and just get something to get by. I live with my bf who owns the place so no rent needed, but the relationship is on the rocks and i've tried to have a backup plan by getting a job in case i have to move out. but the relationship has knocked my confidence to the ground where i feel embarrassed about any job i get and feel ashamed of anything i apply to because of his judgements of me, while he's successful in his job and all his friends are too. I like the look of an MA but worry about my mental health not being up to the work and focus, especially with my bf 's opinions/view of me interfering with everything i do. But i can't leave as i have nowhere to go now. but time is slipping away its nearly a year since i graduated and feel so ashamed that i've gone down a black hole instead of achieving anything.

The self-isolation has been really great in a way, as I came home at the start of it to stay with a member of family, break from relationship and can finally live in my own skin a bit. But can't live with parents because A i would feel ashamed and B they live in a village in a remote place so there were no prospects for me anyway.

Any advice on how to decide on the next step when everything feels like its going to fail?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Before the corona outbreak i was in a bad position anyway, graduated half a year ago, severely depressed, no passions anymore or real job prospects, don't want to work in the field i graduated (architecture). No responses to job applications, i did just a couple of very short and crappy gigs since graduation. All the ones i apply to fill me with dread, i can't seem to suck it up and just get something to get by. I live with my bf who owns the place so no rent needed, but the relationship is on the rocks and i've tried to have a backup plan by getting a job in case i have to move out. but the relationship has knocked my confidence to the ground where i feel embarrassed about any job i get and feel ashamed of anything i apply to because of his judgements of me, while he's successful in his job and all his friends are too. I like the look of an MA but worry about my mental health not being up to the work and focus, especially with my bf 's opinions/view of me interfering with everything i do. But i can't leave as i have nowhere to go now. but time is slipping away its nearly a year since i graduated and feel so ashamed that i've gone down a black hole instead of achieving anything.

The self-isolation has been really great in a way, as I came home at the start of it to stay with a member of family, break from relationship and can finally live in my own skin a bit. But can't live with parents because A i would feel ashamed and B they live in a village in a remote place so there were no prospects for me anyway.

Any advice on how to decide on the next step when everything feels like its going to fail?

If you only graduated a year ago your uni should still be able to help and advise. I hope. Mine would. Contact any old tutors you were friendly with and ask for advice. Your old uni should still be available for careers advice, interviews, cvs etc for at least three years after you graduate.

Good luck. I can send you links to online resources if it would help?
Reply 2
Original post by Mordy
If you only graduated a year ago your uni should still be able to help and advise. I hope. Mine would. Contact any old tutors you were friendly with and ask for advice. Your old uni should still be available for careers advice, interviews, cvs etc for at least three years after you graduate.

Good luck. I can send you links to online resources if it would help?

I've been in touch with the careers office who hadn't responded, and although student email is still working, can't use it to login in to the graduate job listings. I had met with them for career advice sessions before graduating and they weren't very helpful. Got counseling on NHS who put me through for career help who never got in touch then discharged me.

Yes please that would be helpful!
Reply 3
Hey,

First of all breathe.

Then, now that you have time try to discover again your passions and hobbies. It might be really useful being back home cause you can have a look to your albums, looking to your library and rediscover your favourite book, find that CD that you really hated or loved. In other words home is where we start being ourself so maybe it can be the starting point to understand who you were/are and why you took a way rather than another. For example I would advise you to think about what led you to chose architecture. Was it a passion? Your dream? A purpose?Answering this questions might help you understand if it’s a closed chapter in your life or not.

Furthermore, for what it concerns you best friend there are two sides. One hand the distance you feel between you two. For what I’ve understood atm she is your opposite: realised, with a stabile job, happy and with a lots of friends while you are blocked. I think you should talk to her about your feeling, if she really is your best friend she’ll understand.
On the other hand her judgements, but let me tell you: It’s your life, your choices. Equally, it isn't about the job it’s about you. Finding a job in a such particular moment would help you to get off of that grey zone.
Also, It’s seems that the MA is the only dea you got in mind after you admitted of not having any passion. You shouldn't mind about others’ opinion especially your friends’ option. Because if someone really loves and cares about you that person instead of judging you will help you.

For the moment Idk what else to say

let me know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending