Chemistry A-level experience - need help with options

Watch
Lucy98654
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I originally put down for sixth form that I want to take bio,maths and psychology.But now I kind of want to be a dietician and for many uni's chem is necessary however I am just so afraid it will be too hard. I am good at gcse but i just hear a-level is so hard and i am also aware that the BIO,CHEM AND MATHS combo is quite tough.I will obviously work hard but i also want time to do extra curricular activvities and have a good mental health.
I am also aware that pscyhology is easier which is mainly why i chose it over chem but it literally doesnt open up any doors.
I could take 4 to begin with but i would rather start with 3 as it will ruin the timetable.
ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE OR EXPERIENCE IN CHEMISTRY OR THESE ALEVELS IN GENERAL AHHH.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Every A level is hard and I don't know where you got that Psychology is easy because it's not, unless you like it or you are good at memorisation or other things. I suggest taking a level chemistry as either 4 or 3 and drop it if you don't like it; you could do 3 a levels and if you dont like chemistry you can always switch it but remember there is a deadline. My friends do bio, chem and maths and the workload are fine as long as you can handle it. Tbh I think there are heavier workload combinations but it depends on the person.
Lucy98654
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Every A level is hard and I don't know where you got that Psychology is easy because it's not, unless you like it or you are good at memorisation or other things. I suggest taking a level chemistry as either 4 or 3 and drop it if you don't like it; you could do 3 a levels and if you dont like chemistry you can always switch it but remember there is a deadline. My friends do bio, chem and maths and the workload are fine as long as you can handle it. Tbh I think there are heavier workload combinations but it depends on the person.
Thank you !! Ye, i totally agree that psychology isn't easier as i hear it has a heavy workload, i just meant that chemistry's content was more difficult to understand, whereas psychology is difficult due to large amounts of memorization.
Thats quite reassuring that the workload is ok thank you !!
username5211340
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Chemistry is tough, however it isn't impossible to succeed in it. If you're serious about this, you can go ahead and buy the relevant textbooks and start studying it now. Even watch videos on Youtube. The good thing about A-level chemistry is in some sense the concepts will only be questioned in one way or another, there isn't a lot of variation you need to add to your answers to get the full marks, as long as you learn the topic and see what the mark scheme wants.

Everything will be tough, what matters is how you choose to combat it. If you see it as some sort of insurmountable task then you probably will end up disassociating from it. However, if you think of it as a challenge and tackle it with an open mind then there's absolutely no reason as to why you can't do well.

Chemistry is an amazing subject with a lot of variation, give it a go if you want!

But, if you feel more confident with psychology that's absolutely fine too, you're better off excelling in a subject you enjoy than not in a subject you despise, regardless of what it is.
Last edited by username5211340; 1 year ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lucy98654)
Thank you !! Ye, i totally agree that psychology isn't easier as i hear it has a heavy workload, i just meant that chemistry's content was more difficult to understand, whereas psychology is difficult due to large amounts of memorization.
Thats quite reassuring that the workload is ok thank you !!
It's probably seen as a heavy workload because it's an essay subject but it is really interesting and does sometimes link with biology (not sure how often). Chemistry itself's workload would make me cry but my friend finds it okay so it's really relative to the person. Tbh my cousin found it harder to memorise chemistry than psychology - tbh I would find it easier to memorise psychology because I can associate it with something (e.g. a certain case study)
whitney2001
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I originally put down for sixth form that I want to take bio,maths and psychology.But now I kind of want to be a dietician and for many uni's chem is necessary however I am just so afraid it will be too hard. I am good at gcse but i just hear a-level is so hard and i am also aware that the BIO,CHEM AND MATHS combo is quite tough.I will obviously work hard but i also want time to do extra curricular activvities and have a good mental health.
I am also aware that pscyhology is easier which is mainly why i chose it over chem but it literally doesnt open up any doors.
I could take 4 to begin with but i would rather start with 3 as it will ruin the timetable.
ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE OR EXPERIENCE IN CHEMISTRY OR THESE ALEVELS IN GENERAL AHHH.
Hey, I was supposed to take my A Level exams this year however they got cancelled LOOOL. But I took Biology Chemistry and Psychology. I took chem because I got a grade 7 at GCSE and though I could hack it at A Level. This is purely based on personal experience, and I personally would advise you not to pick Chem. I f****** hated everything about it. Whats even worse (my exam board was OCR A , so I had to take 3 papers, not sure if all the other exam boards are the same) and all 3 papers are application based. There is the odd few marks available for definitions and stuff like that. I don't mean this to put you off from taking it, but this is personal experience and I really struggled and hated A Level Chemistry.

Whereas with Psychology, its all remembering , in the exam there is no application questions. If you keep revising and remember the content , psychology is by far one of the "easiest" a levels.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My daughter would have been taking biology, chemistry and maths A levels in June if the exams hadn't been cancelled. She said today that Maths was the biggest jump from GCSE level - and she got 9s in all of them. Chemistry was a pretty heavy workload but not as much as biology which they hadn't managed to complete the syllabus on before schools were told to shut.
Everyone has different strengths but Chemistry has been her sure fire A* where the other 2 have wavered between A and A* at various times.
Lucy98654
Rep:
?
(Original post by ReadingMum)
My daughter would have been taking biology, chemistry and maths A levels in June if the exams hadn't been cancelled. She said today that Maths was the biggest jump from GCSE level - and she got 9s in all of them. Chemistry was a pretty heavy workload but not as much as biology which they hadn't managed to complete the syllabus on before schools were told to shut.
Everyone has different strengths but Chemistry has been her sure fire A* where the other 2 have wavered between A and A* at various times.
Ah ok,thats interesting-if you dont mind asking her if she would recommend taking them and also what exam boards she was on.Thank you so much !
Lucy98654
Rep:
?

Oh no!!! I'm sorry you found it so bad,thats worrying considering im doing OCR as well ahhh!!! Did you find the combination of all 3 really difficult? Thank you.
(Original post by whitney2001)
Hey, I was supposed to take my A Level exams this year however they got cancelled LOOOL. But I took Biology Chemistry and Psychology. I took chem because I got a grade 7 at GCSE and though I could hack it at A Level. This is purely based on personal experience, and I personally would advise you not to pick Chem. I f****** hated everything about it. Whats even worse (my exam board was OCR A , so I had to take 3 papers, not sure if all the other exam boards are the same) and all 3 papers are application based. There is the odd few marks available for definitions and stuff like that. I don't mean this to put you off from taking it, but this is personal experience and I really struggled and hated A Level Chemistry.

Whereas with Psychology, its all remembering , in the exam there is no application questions. If you keep revising and remember the content , psychology is by far one of the "easiest" a levels.
hello9612
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
chemistry at a level is a lot about understanding content as well as remembering it, which makes it much harder. the content itself can be hard and physical chemistry is very much maths based, so being strong in maths makes it much easier. I personally enjoyed yr 1 content but yr 2 content was much harder, especially the physical side.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah ok,thats interesting-if you dont mind asking her if she would recommend taking them and also what exam boards she was on.Thank you so much !
She needed both bio and chem for her uni course - she would always have chosen them anyway, she did toy with doing physics as well but I dissuaded that. OCR - maths and chemistry, eduquas for bio.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads