The Student Room Group

Should I do BTEC?

Hi guys,

I want to take BTEC Applied Science, does anyone have advice on whether the course if good? Will I be limited, opposed to someone who is taking A-levels in University? Will I be limited in terms of where I can go to university? I want to study midwifery, please help and share your experiences x
Yes you'll be limited to someone who will take A-levels in uni and where you can go but you can still go to uni - I suggest you do a lot of intensive research if you can do midwifery and where you can do it with BTEC applied science.
Reply 2
Don’t do it. They say it’s equivalent to 3 A levels but it isn’t in the grand scheme of things
Honestly, for something like science, I feel like you'd be much better off doing a-levels. If you're really set on the BTEC, it would definitely be worth e-mailing a few unis and double checking whether they'll take your BTEC. Some might, others won't. Top top unis almost definitely won't, but from what I've seen, these unis don't do midwifery (I could be wrong though).
Have a look at courses first, find some you think you'd like, then e-mail the unis asking if they'll consider you. There is still time to change your college options if you need to.
Original post by missgrade8
Hi guys,

I want to take BTEC Applied Science, does anyone have advice on whether the course if good? Will I be limited, opposed to someone who is taking A-levels in University? Will I be limited in terms of where I can go to university? I want to study midwifery, please help and share your experiences x

Hello,

I'm currently doing Health and Social Care as a BTEC (year 12). I was originally doing BTEC Applied science and I actually dropped out the group as it wasn't what I was expecting, there were huge amounts of physics in the spec and not a lot of biology until the next year I found. Now i am currently doing Health and Social Care and it will open up a lot of doors into the healthcare field - especially as you're interested in doing midwifery :smile:

If you're wanting to study midwifery I would advise on doing a BTEC opposed to a levels because you will have more time to volunteer and do work experience in comparison to someone studying three a levels! For me, I have two days off and in that time I volunteer at my local hospital on the wards to get valuable experience of life in a hospital. I'm thinking of studying nursing which is a very similar degree in terms of the entry requirements to midwifery, and most universities accept BTECs so it wouldn't limit where you can go to university, at all.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Edit: you don't always need to email universities, look on UCAS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending