I’m an inpatient on a psychiatric ward, AMA

Watch
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by FutureMissMRCS)
Why do they restrict how much TP you can use? What if you need more?
Normally only if you find it tasty.
Depends on if the supervising staff member is half decent.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by glassalice)
Normally only if you find it tasty.
Depends on if the supervising staff member is half decent.
Or you get bowel disturbance? Only because they're worried people are going to eat it- that's the only reason?
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Or you get bowel disturbance? Only because they're worried people are going to eat it- that's the only reason?
#2 is correct
#1 isn't
It's probably not helpful to go into too much detail on here. Plus I don't want to be taking over OP's tread.
You can DM me though.
suitepee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not OP but to answer your question - section 3 is one of the sections of the Mental Health Act 1983. It allows for someone to be detained after assessment by 3 different professionals to receive treatment for a mental “disorder” (horrible word) in a hospital. It is for 6 months initially, it can then be renewed for another 6 months and then a year at a time. Although you won’t necessarily be detained for that length of time. Some people are on s3 for a week, others have been on it for 10 years+
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by suitepee)
Not OP but to answer your question - section 3 is one of the sections of the Mental Health Act 1983. It allows for someone to be detained after assessment by 3 different professionals to receive treatment for a mental “disorder” (horrible word) in a hospital. It is for 6 months initially, it can then be renewed for another 6 months and then a year at a time. Although you won’t necessarily be detained for that length of time. Some people are on s3 for a week, others have been on it for 10 years+
You know your ****- EX-patient?
jupiiter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i’ve never known anyone to be on s3 for a week, would’ve thought an s2 would be more appropriate in that case
suitepee
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You know your ****- EX-patient?
Yep - also a social worker and applying to be an AMHP
suitepee
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jupiiter)
i’ve never known anyone to be on s3 for a week, would’ve thought an s2 would be more appropriate in that case
It does happen. S2 is only really appropriate when the person requires assessment ie their presentation is new or not known to services. Once established diagnosis is made and if presentation is similar to before (eg individual with long diagnosis of bipolar presenting with manic symptoms) a s3 application should be made. However, doesn’t always happen in reality.
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yep - also a social worker and applying to be an AMHP
Oooh- you've done really well for yourself 🙂!!!
I really like reading the blog called https://themaskedamhp.blogspot.com/2...ality.html?m=1 about an AMHP
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
As above, ask anything from food to daily routine. I will attempt to answer all questions but I am sorry if I miss your post. Please post it again if this does happen.
If this is too personal, then I wouldn’t expect you to answer it.

However, what made you go to a psychiatric ward?
jupiiter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It does happen. S2 is only really appropriate when the person requires assessment ie their presentation is new or not known to services. Once established diagnosis is made and if presentation is similar to before (eg individual with long diagnosis of bipolar presenting with manic symptoms) a s3 application should be made. However, doesn’t always happen in reality.
but s3 for just a week? seems very unlikely that you’d have someone fit enough to start making their own decisions after just a week of treatment. but hey, i guess it could happen. i don’t know much anyway haha
suitepee
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oooh- you've done really well for yourself 🙂!!!
I really like reading the blog called https://themaskedamhp.blogspot.com/2...ality.html?m=1 about an AMHP
Thank you yes the masked amhp is a great blog. There was a Facebook group a long time ago I used to be a member of which is still there which is a great place if you love a bit of mha discussion
suitepee
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jupiiter)
but s3 for just a week? seems very unlikely that you’d have someone fit enough to start making their own decisions after just a week of treatment. but hey, i guess it could happen. i don’t know much anyway haha
It is unlikely but I have seen it happen. From my own personal experience I have been admitted to hospital suffering from mania, started on a high dose of antipsychotics and within a week I was back on my baseline. The record for shortest s3 I’ve seen was a day - which probably indicates that they shouldn’t have been detained in the first place
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Not being allowed to use my coping strategies.
What are your coping strategies? Why don't they let you use them? Are they unhealthy or something?
Lostx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What medication are you on?
Clozapine
Aripiprazol
Venlafaxine
Lamotrigine
Lostx
Rep:
?
Have you ever tried eating baked beans with paper cutlery?
Wow haha. Some things are just silly!
glassalice
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Clozapine
Aripiprazol
Venlafaxine
Lamotrigine
My mate was on cloz, she had to have weekly blood tests. 😬
Or do you mean olanzapine?
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldenpoop)
What’s your daily schedule like?
Meds

Wake up late because so sedated

Lunch (but I’m not eating atm)
Meds

Struggle throughout the day with horrible sh1t

Walk around listening to music

Tea meds

Locked out my room from 10 am - 10 pm! Ridiculous in my opinion.

Supper

Meds

Sleep
Jacinlj
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Marcus Potter should join you.
Lostx
Rep:
?
On the mixed PICU anti lig = segregation to room. Justified yet not nice.
That’s not nice. It’s as if they’re trying to punish us. But at least you don’t have to walk around embarrassed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (54)
8.79%
Confident (80)
13.03%
Indifferent (87)
14.17%
Unsure (158)
25.73%
Worried (235)
38.27%

Watched Threads