MPenny04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So thanks to big corona Year 11 is cut short, really short, and GCSEs are gone. Is there anything I can do in the next 5 months to prepare for my A levels? I'm doing maths, biology and chemistry.
great0
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MPenny04)
So thanks to big corona Year 11 is cut short, really short, and GCSEs are gone. Is there anything I can do in the next 5 months to prepare for my A levels? I'm doing maths, biology and chemistry.
For the time beignet is fine to just have a break and not stress yourself. If you want to get ahead of the game, possibly start looking at the specification of the course you will be doing. Have a feel for the subject. There are many you tubers who have videos about the topics which you will learn.

hope this helps.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
You should strengthen your gcse knowledge as much as you can.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i did a level maths, probably worth to keep some of the gcse knowledge ticking over in the holidays by doing practice questions and just going over notes. the transition to a level isn't that bad though.
xozxexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Deffo get a head or atleast familarise yourself with the course!
Youtube will help loads, especially if you know your exam board. Just keep doing bits of these subjects over the next few months and dip your toes into AS material will prepare you enough.

My first biology lesson was a whirlwind. I understood nothing and then came home and cried but it was deffiently because I wasnt used to not understanding what was being taught straight away. If there was one thing i couldve done to make my year 12 experience better was to have dipped my toes into my subjects a little before hand to atleast be familar with the new words and phrases that will be thrown at me.

Additionally you can also start thinking about universities (i know it may be early but the time will soon come around extremely quickly!) also look at the course you want to apply for. Start seeing if theres anything you can get stuck into now whilst you have all this time on your hands which you can put onto your personal statement. I know it may be diffiicult because we cannot leave the house and must practice social distancing but there are plently of online courses you can do and also vitual work experience opportunities you ca take part in- this would be amazing do to if you want to go into medicine at uni
MPenny04
Rep:
?
(Original post by xozxexo)
Deffo get a head or atleast familarise yourself with the course!
Youtube will help loads, especially if you know your exam board. Just keep doing bits of these subjects over the next few months and dip your toes into AS material will prepare you enough.

My first biology lesson was a whirlwind. I understood nothing and then came home and cried but it was deffiently because I wasnt used to not understanding what was being taught straight away. If there was one thing i couldve done to make my year 12 experience better was to have dipped my toes into my subjects a little before hand to atleast be familar with the new words and phrases that will be thrown at me.

Additionally you can also start thinking about universities (i know it may be early but the time will soon come around extremely quickly!) also look at the course you want to apply for. Start seeing if theres anything you can get stuck into now whilst you have all this time on your hands which you can put onto your personal statement. I know it may be diffiicult because we cannot leave the house and must practice social distancing but there are plently of online courses you can do and also vitual work experience opportunities you ca take part in- this would be amazing do to if you want to go into medicine at uni
Thanks for the detailed reply! On my school website I can only find what the 2019 specs were for the subjects. Do specs ever change? i just don't want to buy an ocr maths book then find out they've changed it to edexcel :/
litstudent30
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think first, obviously, take a break!

If you want to get a head start, look up some YouTube videos, e.g. by Primrose Kitten. Buy a revision guide, try and get your head around what you'll be learning etc.

Your GCSE knowledge forms a foundation for A-level studies, especially with the sciences, so don't forget it!

PS. I know how you feel, I'm in Year 13 and exams are cancelled ugh
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks for the detailed reply! On my school website I can only find what the 2019 specs were for the subjects. Do specs ever change? i just don't want to buy an ocr maths book then find out they've changed it to edexcel :/
Specs dont change unless your school decide to move to a different exam board and I don't think they would change unless for a reason. Don't buy math books now wait till you're in yr 12. If you finish all you can do from GCSE, start looking at further maths GCSE, which helps when you start.
great0
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Personally I would say it is too early to buy resources. There are plenty of online resources ( which are free ) that you could use instead. But then again this is just an opinion. The fact that you are thinking about next year shows you have great initiative. I can imagine most people in your year would be very passive and not studying.
xozxexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Youre welcome
Its very unlikely that the sixthform will change their exam board. the teachers are trained to devlier that exam board (as each exam board has different expecations and exam question styles) so changing it would just be a nightmare in my opinion.

Ive gotten some revision material for a different exam board than what I did for Biology and the material was the same- the questions were just worded slightly different. So in the event that your school does randomly change exam boards, I cannot see the revision guide going to waste as the content is often very similar, if not identical
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by great0)
Personally I would say it is too early to buy resources. There are plenty of online resources ( which are free ) that you could use instead. But then again this is just an opinion. The fact that you are thinking about next year shows you have great initiative. I can imagine most people in your year would be very passive and not studying.
PRSOM
MPenny04
Rep:
?
(Original post by xozxexo)
Youre welcome
Its very unlikely that the sixthform will change their exam board. the teachers are trained to devlier that exam board (as each exam board has different expecations and exam question styles) so changing it would just be a nightmare in my opinion.

Ive gotten some revision material for a different exam board than what I did for Biology and the material was the same- the questions were just worded slightly different. So in the event that your school does randomly change exam boards, I cannot see the revision guide going to waste as the content is often very similar, if not identical
Thanks again, one more thing, if anyone has used them, are the "Head start to A Level ___" CGP books worth looking at before 6th form?
litstudent30
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks again, one more thing, if anyone has used them, are the "Head start to A Level ___" CGP books worth looking at before 6th form?
Definitely
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.4%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.86%

Watched Threads