I'm a student at Royal Holloway -- Ask Me Anything!

Watch
Esha3
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
Just thought I'd add my experience to answering this!

I stayed at George Eliot in my first year and it's brilliant, the rooms are fairly spacious too!

Yeah there are blocks A all the way to Y and Z so definitely much more than just a couple
Okay, thank you!
octo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello I have an offer to study English and Creative Writing. What would you recommend I do to prepare for the course before coming? Any particular texts I should look at or prep that would be helpful? Thank you
Hey! So, for the Creative Writing half of the course, a lot of the texts you'll be looking at in Why Write will be given to you during the week, and I think the books you're taught in Introduction to Creative Writing change every year depending on your seminar leader's tastes. I recommend just reading widely and exploring new things during this summer, more than anything else!

For English -- if the reading list is the same as it was for me in 2017, I recommend reading what should be the first book on your Reorienting the Novel course, and one of my favourite books I read in my entire degree - Room, by Emma Donoghue.

The best thing you can do to prep, broadly speaking, is to read widely and practice your writing. Try writing in short bursts (drabbles, for example, or flash fiction). Write from prompts. Steal a random line from a book on a shelf and try to turn it into a story.

The best exercise I did during Introduction to Creative Writing was being told to look at a section of my own writing and to imagine other ways of getting from point A to point B -- so the section started, for example, with the two protags discussing their friend's father, and ended with one pushing the other over onto the ground. My seminar leader encouraged us to look at the scene and try completely reimagining how these characters could get from one point to the other -- the various different routes of dialogue, being interrupted. It's cool to rework a piece once you have a clear direction in mind. I recommend having a play around with your own writing, and also preparing yourself for workshopping. It's important that you learn how to take criticism on your writing, but also to not be disheartened by what you hear. ❤️
username3113730
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi! I’m going to be staying in Butler hall from September and was wondering if anyone had any experiences of staying in this hall? What are the pros and cons? Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by octo)
Hey! So, for the Creative Writing half of the course, a lot of the texts you'll be looking at in Why Write will be given to you during the week, and I think the books you're taught in Introduction to Creative Writing change every year depending on your seminar leader's tastes. I recommend just reading widely and exploring new things during this summer, more than anything else!

For English -- if the reading list is the same as it was for me in 2017, I recommend reading what should be the first book on your Reorienting the Novel course, and one of my favourite books I read in my entire degree - Room, by Emma Donoghue.

The best thing you can do to prep, broadly speaking, is to read widely and practice your writing. Try writing in short bursts (drabbles, for example, or flash fiction). Write from prompts. Steal a random line from a book on a shelf and try to turn it into a story.

The best exercise I did during Introduction to Creative Writing was being told to look at a section of my own writing and to imagine other ways of getting from point A to point B -- so the section started, for example, with the two protags discussing their friend's father, and ended with one pushing the other over onto the ground. My seminar leader encouraged us to look at the scene and try completely reimagining how these characters could get from one point to the other -- the various different routes of dialogue, being interrupted. It's cool to rework a piece once you have a clear direction in mind. I recommend having a play around with your own writing, and also preparing yourself for workshopping. It's important that you learn how to take criticism on your writing, but also to not be disheartened by what you hear. ❤️
That is really helpful - thank you 😊
octo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by okurr123)
Hi! I’m going to be staying in Butler hall from September and was wondering if anyone had any experiences of staying in this hall? What are the pros and cons? Thanks
Hey! Butler is identical to Wedderburn and the other Band A rooms, so you might find this post I wrote helpful <3 if you have any more questions, shoot them my way!
Horny4Maths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
[Someone already answered my question in another thread so never mind!] Sorry if this has already been asked, but in Founders does the room come with a mirror and does it come with a pinboard? I'm going to be living in Band J and didn't see either of these on the list Holloway gave of stuff in the room, but they seem like the kind of things that you might expect to be so just wanted to check
Last edited by Horny4Maths; 10 months ago
Anonymous #3
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by octo)
Hey guys!

Since open days and applicant days have been postponed indefinitely, I thought this might be a decent idea. If you have any questions about Royal Holloway -- whether you're year 12 or 13 or just bored -- ask me any questions you have! about RHUL, the local area, the course, what I had for breakfast, whatever. When I was looking around at universities, I really appreciated these threads -- so I think it's only fair to give back at a time like this.

A little about me: I'm 21, and I'm in my third year studying BA English and Creative Writing. I've lived in Wedderburn, off-campus in Englefield Green, and in a shared/twin room in Founders.

Have at it! I'm happy to help as much as I possibly can. <3
Hi, I just wanted to ask you if there's a chance of me getting into RHU when I don't have one of the entry requirements for GCSE? I have all a level and passes for gcse but I'm just off by a grade for one of the requirements.
Elnie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I've seen a few of these questions, so I'm so sorry for repeating this 😖
But I'm in Reid and was wondering if anyone has any experience living there?
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Elnie)
I had friends who lived in Reid and they enjoyed it; it's catered, ensuite and the rooms are fairly spacious

Think it's a 36 week contract though, so you have to move your belongings out over xmas and easter
octo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I just wanted to ask you if there's a chance of me getting into RHU when I don't have one of the entry requirements for GCSE? I have all a level and passes for gcse but I'm just off by a grade for one of the requirements.
I would email Admissions and talk about your options! If you have an A-level in the subject that surpasses the GCSE grade, I don't see why not -- so email and ask. The worst thing that can happen is they say no. ❤️
octo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elnie)
Hey! So I haven't lived in Reid, but I spent a few days living there a few weeks ago during the July Open Visits -- so I have at least a little experience now of living in there, just not full-scale whole-year stuff. The rooms are a great size, honestly! While you have a single bed, it means the floor space is significantly bigger than a Band A room. You have a lot of shelves and drawers for storage -- iirc you have a unit of 5-6 shelves out in the open by your desk, then two more over your desk, and then a bunch of shelves inside your wardrobe, plus a few drawers attached to your desk and one on your bedside table. I don't think I've seen a room with that many shelves haha. The ensuites are honestly better imo than Band A! You get an actual shower you step up into, rather than a wet room like Band A, and the bathroom is surprisingly spacious. I felt like I was in a hotel room the whole time and was very impressed. The bedrooms are laid out a little oddly in the Reid corridors -- so you have a long corridor where the stairway is, and then you go through a door to find a cluster of rooms in a C formation. Two in the middle right next to each other, and then one facing inward on each end -- so there's not much room if you accidentally leave your room at the same time as someone else, I imagine, and no big corridors like in Founders or Band A, but I definitely think you could get used to it!

The pantries are a little smaller than the self-catered kitchens, but you get your own marked cupboard and there are multiple fridges. You also share them with far less people than you do Founders, by the looks of it, so I'm definitely jealous about that and the fact you have a table to eat at! Obviously while we were there nobody used the table because social distancing and not wanting to take up the whole pantry, but it was genuinely a lovely place to stay.

If you have any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them with my limited experience! ❤️❤️
faizanarshad360
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi,

Random Question. Do you think commuting from east London (Ilford to be specific) is doable?

Also, do Students who live in London choose accomodation often?

Thanks 😊
Kayrovsky
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey there !

I will be doing my second bachelor's degree at Royal Holloway this September. I was wondering whether if you remember how long it took to receive your academic email ([email protected]) after you accepted your offer, and as well, the duration it took to receive the CAS letter if you are an international student !

Thanks in advance for all the helps
mshemblade
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by octo)
Hey guys!

Since open days and applicant days have been postponed indefinitely, I thought this might be a decent idea. If you have any questions about Royal Holloway -- whether you're year 12 or 13 or just bored -- ask me any questions you have! about RHUL, the local area, the course, what I had for breakfast, whatever. When I was looking around at universities, I really appreciated these threads -- so I think it's only fair to give back at a time like this.

A little about me: I'm 21, and I'm in my third year studying BA English and Creative Writing. I've lived in Wedderburn, off-campus in Englefield Green, and in a shared/twin room in Founders.

hi, what is the campus at Royal Holloway like? Is it expensive living in London? Is the library big and do you know anyone’s experience of studying classics there?
Last edited by mshemblade; 10 months ago
Anonymous #3
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by octo)
I would email Admissions and talk about your options! If you have an A-level in the subject that surpasses the GCSE grade, I don't see why not -- so email and ask. The worst thing that can happen is they say no. ❤️
Thank youuu!
evamae16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by octo)
Hey guys!

hey, i was thinking about applying for catered accommodation because i just love the founders buildings and I'm not a fan of cooking, but I'm a vegetarian, so I was just wondering what the veggie food is like? are there lots of options and are they any good?
i also saw the twin rooms in founders- did you get to talk to your roommate before arriving, are rooms allocated completely randomly or based on interests like they are in some other uni's?
thank you!
octo
Rep:
?
(Original post by faizanarshad360)
Hi,

Random Question. Do you think commuting from east London (Ilford to be specific) is doable?

Also, do Students who live in London choose accomodation often?

Thanks 😊
Hey! I had someone on my course commuting from East London every day and it was definitely doable. She ended up renting a place in Englefield Green from second year onwards, but I think she did that more out of convenience! I'd say there are a lot of students from central London and surrounding areas who commute, especially depending on your course cohort. My course (English and Creative Writing) didn't have all that many commuters, but my partner's Sociology degree was around 40% commuters. So -- yes, it's definitely doable!
octo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kayrovsky)
Hey there !

I will be doing my second bachelor's degree at Royal Holloway this September. I was wondering whether if you remember how long it took to receive your academic email ([email protected]) after you accepted your offer, and as well, the duration it took to receive the CAS letter if you are an international student !

Thanks in advance for all the helps
I really don't remember! I wish I did -- I'm wracking my brain on it. I would recommend emailing the uni to ask, but it's been a long time since and I genuinely can't remember. Sorry!!
octo
Rep:
?
(Original post by mshemblade)
hi, what is the campus at Royal Holloway like? Is it expensive living in London? Is the library big and do you know anyone’s experience of studying classics there?
Hello!!

So, quick rundown -- Royal Holloway isn't in London! It's actually in Egham, which is around 20 miles from Central London, and is closer to Windsor or Woking or Staines. Surrey! That being said, it's very easy to get into London from Egham by train, and you can be there in about 40 minutes. Surrey can be quite a pricey area, but even though we aren't technically in London, we still get the London Allowance for our student loans! Very cheeky, very helpful, and really helps navigating things like housing in Egham. I suppose I wouldn't say it's outrageously expensive, like some places in London, but Surrey can be a bit pricier than average.

The library is massive! There are I think 1100 ish study spaces within it and hundreds of thousands of books, so you're always likely to find a place to sit and work. It's at the top of campus right opposite the Founders Building (absolutely stunning if you haven't already seen pictures). It's hard to give a broad overview, but I definitely recommend having a look at some campus tours and the like on YouTube!!
octo
Rep:
?
(Original post by evamae16)
hey, i was thinking about applying for catered accommodation because i just love the founders buildings and I'm not a fan of cooking, but I'm a vegetarian, so I was just wondering what the veggie food is like? are there lots of options and are they any good?
i also saw the twin rooms in founders- did you get to talk to your roommate before arriving, are rooms allocated completely randomly or based on interests like they are in some other uni's?
thank you!
Hey!!! So the way the dining hall works is, there's always 2 meat, 1 vegan and 1 vegetarian option. Quite often these would be immediate variations on the meat options -- so chicken fajitas and veggie fajitas, spaghetti bolognese and quorn mince bolognese, chicken chow mein and tofu chow mein -- but sometimes they'd be a little different, like various veggie pasta dishes, this one beetroot quiche tart thing that I never tried but my vegan friend would buy like 4 of when they were on sale for the day and reheat them because she just loved them that much, stuff like that. But there's *always* at least one option, and I fairly often went for the veggie or vegan options just because they looked lovely despite not being a vegetarian myself!! (I think the uni realised their Quorn Bolognese was so much better than the meat one because they just randomly stopped doing the meat version halfway through the year and only gave us the veggie option haha). I think you should be fine! And as a veggie you have the flexibility of picking the vegan option when you want it or the veggie option -- I've heard from a few vegan friends that only having one option can be daunting if you don't particularly like what's on offer. That being said, rice and vegetables are always available and chips usually are too, so you have a bit of a "DIY" option too.

The rooms are normally randomly allocated from what I can tell. We had a Facebook chat for just people in twin rooms before we were allocated our rooms/roommates, so we all got to know each other as a whole before finding out who was going to be our actual roommate, which was really lovely!
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads