The Student Room Group

Anyone like quizzing? Any tips

So I know this might be a bit nerdy but I love quizzing. I've been on a couple of school quiz teams and won a couple. I would love to participate in University Challenge one day. does anyone have any tips on how to revise for it? I know you have to read a lot but the questions are all so specific on University challenge. I thought with lockdown it was a good opportunity to improve my knowledge 😀
Original post by jh011001
So I know this might be a bit nerdy but I love quizzing. I've been on a couple of school quiz teams and won a couple. I would love to participate in University Challenge one day. does anyone have any tips on how to revise for it? I know you have to read a lot but the questions are all so specific on University challenge. I thought with lockdown it was a good opportunity to improve my knowledge 😀

Snap!

Quiz books are always a good place to start. I find that the Collin’s Pub quiz series is the best all rounder and value for money.

Grab a couple of reference books. These aren’t quiz specific but decent ones really come in handy. The reference book that seems to be lauded the most is the A-Z of Everything by Trevor Montague. The latest edition is available for £15 on Amazon. Over 1,000 pages of reference material - just list after list - on almost everything.

Keep up to date with the news. Try and read newspapers or current affairs magazines. Quiz setters will often use news or sporting events as the basis for a good amount of their questions! Keep an eye on changes of government, big policy decisions, latest trophy winners, as well as other unique pieces of information.

Wikipedia. Wikipedia is an absolute godsend. Their homepage has a nice ’featured’ and ‘did you know’ series that is full of niche information. If you’re bored jump on there and browse, try and make a regular habit of it.

OnThisDay.com - another great website that lists events that have happened on this day in history (no prize for guessing that one!). This is great for building general knowledge. Try and get into the habit of remembering the years of famous events or the years that famous people died, setters love questions about dates.

Online quiz sites like Sporcle are great to test yourself. You’ll find quizzes on absolutely anything.
Reply 2
Original post by Burridge
Snap!

Quiz books are always a good place to start. I find that the Collin’s Pub quiz series is the best all rounder and value for money.

Grab a couple of reference books. These aren’t quiz specific but decent ones really come in handy. The reference book that seems to be lauded the most is the A-Z of Everything by Trevor Montague. The latest edition is available for £15 on Amazon. Over 1,000 pages of reference material - just list after list - on almost everything.

Keep up to date with the news. Try and read newspapers or current affairs magazines. Quiz setters will often use news or sporting events as the basis for a good amount of their questions! Keep an eye on changes of government, big policy decisions, latest trophy winners, as well as other unique pieces of information.

Wikipedia. Wikipedia is an absolute godsend. Their homepage has a nice ’featured’ and ‘did you know’ series that is full of niche information. If you’re bored jump on there and browse, try and make a regular habit of it.

OnThisDay.com - another great website that lists events that have happened on this day in history (no prize for guessing that one!). This is great for building general knowledge. Try and get into the habit of remembering the years of famous events or the years that famous people died, setters love questions about dates.

Online quiz sites like Sporcle are great to test yourself. You’ll find quizzes on absolutely anything.

thank you so much that was so helpful!! I will definitely look at all of these. When I say I want to do quizzing I usually get eye rolls or confused looks but it's something I really want to improve on and participate in 😀

Quick Reply

Latest