The Student Room Group

Discrimination in my work place

I work with my parents in their travel company. I repeat my DAD is my boss, and there is 5 of us who work there.

Now, I have got my heart set on dying my hair green. I am all for positivity and encouraging others to be themselves. But my parents are having none of it. I threatened to take them to trading standards for this.

I just want to be myself and express my personality, but my dad said "If you dyed your hair green you will no longer have a job"

I said to my dad im 18 so there is no stopping me. How do I convince him we are in 2020 and we should be allowed to express ourselves whether that maybe tattoos, hair, piercings?
Loool your dad have you a job and you're threatening to sue him for something petty 🥴
Original post by Anonymous
Loool your dad have you a job and you're threatening to sue him for something petty 🥴

He is the one being petty for not allowing their employees for being themselves :biggrin:awkward
Reply 3
Your dad's company, your dad's rules. If he wants his employees to look a certain way, he can.

Maybe you could educate yourself on the role of trading standards and the protected characteristics covered under the Equality Act before you look for another job...
Original post by Surnia
Your dad's company, your dad's rules. If he wants his employees to look a certain way, he can.

Maybe you could educate yourself on the role of trading standards and the protected characteristics covered under the Equality Act before you look for another job...

What people fail to realise is we are in 2020, times have changed now.

We should be able to dress and look the way we are comfortable with. I personally do not feel confident in my natural hair colour, therefore I shall change it to how I desire. I do not think it's fair my job will be terminated for some chemicals I put on my body.

Tattoos, Piercings, Hair Dye, Bright clothes change a persons outer shell, not what's inside. I have had regular feedback from my parents that proves my work ethic is fantastic and I really put a lot of hard work in what I do. I turn up to work on time, I am polite and punctual

Sorry Surnia - I see your posts all the time and 90% of the time I like and agree with you - But this is wrong.
It's just something you're going to have to deal with. You've got two choices, leave your hair and keep your job, or dye your hair and get a job elsewhere. Any other circumstance I'd say your dad is 100% in the wrong but it's his company, as the boss he can choose to not employ someone because of their hair colour. Doesn't mean it's right, it's just how it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending