The Student Room Group

Would you report your neighbour for flouting lockdown rules?

A discussion currently on the radio, police have been flooded with people reporting their neighbours going on a second run. The government say you should only go out for one form of exercise a day in order to stop the spread.

Police will be able to fine people ignoring the order, and have also been using drones to watch walkers in the Derbyshire.

The question I have for TSR today is, if you saw a neighbour go out for a second walk, alone, during the day would you report them?

One the one hand, rules are rules. On the other old Phil in 37 going out of a jog at 5am, and another at 5pm isn't going to harm anyone.

Do we need to just use common sense?

Scroll to see replies

Indeed we need to apply some common sense, and a bit of neighbourly spirit, assuming you get on with your neighbour's of course.
Original post by Andrew97
A discussion currently on the radio, police have been flooded with people reporting their neighbours going on a second run. The government say you should only go out for one form of exercise a day in order to stop the spread.

Police will be able to fine people ignoring the order, and have also been using drones to watch walkers in the Derbyshire.

The question I have for TSR today is, if you saw a neighbour go out for a second walk, alone, during the day would you report them?

One the one hand, rules are rules. On the other old Phil in 37 going out of a jog at 5am, and another at 5pm isn't going to harm anyone.

Depends what they were doing.
Second jog, then no. They could be jogging to the shop.
If I felt someone was being unreasonable , then I would have a word with them myself. It would have to be something worthy of police attention.
No. Unless they were having a massive party, no. I worry this will turn us into the Stasi.
Reply 4
Does have the distinct wiff of Stalinism, Naziism et al. informing on your friends and family and all that.
No, I wouldn't report them.
Reply 6
Report my neighbour for going on a second run? Report them to who? And how? The police wouldn’t even care. What an asinine thing to do which will just achieve greater social fracturing and community disagreements. We do not live in Nazi Germany. We must use common sense and belong in the twenty first century.
(edited 3 years ago)
1) are people really thaaat bored?

2) has a Stasi-esque ring to it

3) Police have better things to do especially at this time
I wouldn't report them for going on a second jog, no. However my next door neighbours were having a BBQ on Friday, with 4 other blokes who don't live with them, just sitting outside in a circle, definitely not 2m apart. I find it ridiculous that I'm sitting at home fully on edge thanks to my anxiety to try and stop people from dying, yet there are still idiots out there who aren't getting the message.

I didn't report them, because they would know it was me, as they asked me did I want a burger and I said no, and get out of my garden (they came through the back gate).
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I wouldn't report them for going on a second jog, no. However my next door neighbours were having a BBQ on Friday, with 4 other blokes who don't live with them, just sitting outside in a circle, definitely not 2m apart. I find it ridiculous that I'm sitting at home fully on edge thanks to my anxiety to try and stop people from dying, yet there are still idiots out there who aren't getting the message.

I didn't report them, because they would know it was me, as they asked me did I want a burger and I said no, and get out of my garden (they came through the back gate).

"(they came through the back gate)" - wow - definitely too paranoid to leave the gates open in my garden
Nah.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
"(they came through the back gate)" - wow - definitely too paranoid to leave the gates open in my garden

We share an alleyway between the two houses, so the gate to the alley is locked but then the actual gates to our gardens only have a catch rather than a lock, if that makes sense.
Original post by Andrew97

Is there a law saying people can't go out on a second run, or was it just one of Boris' instructions?
most people would only do this out of hating their neighbour, not from legitimate concern lol
I ain't foldin' under pressure, I ain't switchin' for no ho
I ain't talkin' to no cop and I ain't tellin' on my bros
Nah, police have better things to do, if I thought my neighbour was really taking the mick i'd say so.
I feel like police would get pretty annoyed for wasting their time like that.
I wouldn’t go as far as reporting anyone , no.
I did talk to my mums neighbours though. In the spirit of concern. They are almost 80 and although fit and well are breaking every rule. They are out every day 2-3 times. Walking shopping and driving around.
I told them I was concerned for their health although I am far more worried about them passing something to my mum and other neighbours who are also older and alone.
If they don’t stop then I’ll have to rethink my position
Reply 18
Original post by Sammylou40
I wouldn’t go as far as reporting anyone , no.
I did talk to my mums neighbours though. In the spirit of concern. They are almost 80 and although fit and well are breaking every rule. They are out every day 2-3 times. Walking shopping and driving around.
I told them I was concerned for their health although I am far more worried about them passing something to my mum and other neighbours who are also older and alone.
If they don’t stop then I’ll have to rethink my position

Octogenarians are advised to stay at home, but there isn’t a law stopping them. But you are correct it’s on the grounds of their own health.
Reply 19
I wish I could report my family. My uncle and cousin think it's okay to come over to our house and pray and my dad still goes to the mosque 5 times a day

Quick Reply

Latest