The Student Room Group

How does UCAS work in transferring unis (first year)?

Hello, I had emailed a university regarding transferring to them and they had stated that it is possible for me to do so given my initial degree/modules and attained marks, but it would have to be done through UCAS and if I'm on the way to a 2:1 degree award.

I'm a domestic student, I've used UCAS before when I was at Sixth Form last year but I'd like to know what's the deadline to transferring? Because on one hand they are saying I have to get 2:1 by end of my first year so I think I have up until October or something?

Thanks.
Original post by DaniyalShah
Hello, I had emailed a university regarding transferring to them and they had stated that it is possible for me to do so given my initial degree/modules and attained marks, but it would have to be done through UCAS and if I'm on the way to a 2:1 degree award.

I'm a domestic student, I've used UCAS before when I was at Sixth Form last year but I'd like to know what's the deadline to transferring? Because on one hand they are saying I have to get 2:1 by end of my first year so I think I have up until October or something?

Thanks.

You should apply asap. UCAS works exactly the same for transfers as it does from sixth form. You’re just applying late (but hopefully not too late).

You need to list your current university in the education section and provide a PS and a reference (ideally from your current university).

Thanks.

If you want to start at the new uni next September, you'll need to apply before the end of this accademic year. They can make you a conditional offer, just like you might have got in sixth form. You can then forward them your uni transcript when you get it, and this will change to unconditional.
When is the deadline for UCAS transfer?
When is the deadline for UCAS transfer?

When the course and university you’re applying to decides to close to new applications.

Don’t put it off. Apply asap.
Original post by PQ
When the course and university you’re applying to decides to close to new applications.

Don’t put it off. Apply asap.

Okay I’m quite confused because they have stated a requirement which was achieve 2:1 by end of first year so I emailed the university to ask when exactly do I apply and let’s see what they say.

Because I literally don’t know what I’m doing especially now that my uni exam is cancelled like what.
Original post by DaniyalKhan
Okay I’m quite confused because they have stated a requirement which was achieve 2:1 by end of first year so I emailed the university to ask when exactly do I apply and let’s see what they say.

Because I literally don’t know what I’m doing especially now that my uni exam is cancelled like what.

You apply as soon as possible.
They make you a conditional offer (just like if you were waiting for A level results).
Don’t wait. Transfer applications take longer than most applications for admissions to process.
Original post by PQ
You apply as soon as possible.
They make you a conditional offer (just like if you were waiting for A level results).
Don’t wait. Transfer applications take longer than most applications for admissions to process.

Okay when do I inform my current university that I’m looking to transfer, before or after the UCAS application?
You don't need to formally inform them until you know the outcome of the application, however in most cases you are required to nominate a referee from your current place of study. So they'll need to know so they can write something for you. It's a fairly common request and they shouldn't be overly bothered.
As above - asking for a reference to apply elsewhere does not require you to withdraw from your current course. The withdrawal process is completely separate

Quick Reply

Latest