The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Looking to make new friends who are going to St. Andrews uni

I’m going to St. Andrews uni starting 2020 to study physics, I currently don’t know many people from my school who are going and I’m looking to make friends with people hoping to study there.

Scroll to see replies

Lol same... especially since my the Earth Sciences course seems to be so small anyway. I can't find any online groups lol.

But yes hi
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hey guys, there’s a group on Facebook under the name of ‘Saint Andrew’s University Offer holders and Applicants 2020’! ☺️
Reply 3
In general, I've heard that making friends once you are there (as its tight knit) isn't a problem for most. So please try not to worry. No harm in starting this process here, though.

I'm moving uni for my MSc, to St Andrews, and I am conscious that within a university the size of St Andrews, the Postgrad community will be quite small. Not to mention that amount of people on my course will be, obviously, a tiny portion of that post grad community. C'est la vie.

But anyway, hi.
Reply 4
Original post by Bxxnxs
In general, I've heard that making friends once you are there (as its tight knit) isn't a problem for most. So please try not to worry. No harm in starting this process here, though.

I'm moving uni for my MSc, to St Andrews, and I am conscious that within a university the size of St Andrews, the Postgrad community will be quite small. Not to mention that amount of people on my course will be, obviously, a tiny portion of that post grad community. C'est la vie.

But anyway, hi.

Hey,
I reckon I’ll be able to find friends but it’s more fitting in I guess. It just so happens that the handful of people I already know at St. Andrews or who have applied don’t drink or go out at all, which I know isn’t the reason you go to uni but I do plan on going out and having fun. I know it’s got a bit of a reputation of being really posh and I guess that’s what I’m most scared about.
Reply 5
Original post by Rosieg100
Hey,
I reckon I’ll be able to find friends but it’s more fitting in I guess. It just so happens that the handful of people I already know at St. Andrews or who have applied don’t drink or go out at all, which I know isn’t the reason you go to uni but I do plan on going out and having fun. I know it’s got a bit of a reputation of being really posh and I guess that’s what I’m most scared about.

Despite the very limited party-esque scene, there are still many options for having a good time and drinking (i've heard; usually the form of house parties and events). Sadly, the reputation puts some people off. Although, it attracts others.

I asked one of my lecturers who used to lecture there and they said something all the lines of - "It is noticeable that there a lot of well-off people who study there but in Maths (her PhD), it seemed that most people connected on their similar interest of maths rather than class." - I imagine the same might be true for Physics, but that is only a guess.

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Original post by Bxxnxs
Despite the very limited party-esque scene, there are still many options for having a good time and drinking (i've heard; usually the form of house parties and events). Sadly, the reputation puts some people off. Although, it attracts others.

I asked one of my lecturers who used to lecture there and they said something all the lines of - "It is noticeable that there a lot of well-off people who study there but in Maths (her PhD), it seemed that most people connected on their similar interest of maths rather than class." - I imagine the same might be true for Physics, but that is only a guess.

Hope this helps!

Thank you!
Original post by Bxxnxs

Hope this helps!

Yes that reputation does attract me but minus the posh part lol
Reply 8
Original post by The Wise
Yes that reputation does attract me but minus the posh part lol

That seems to be a worry of a lot of people, rest assured, there will be many in the same position as yourself. Maybe you'll meet a future prince or princess (who will most certainly be posh) - you only have to look as far as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Original post by Bxxnxs
That seems to be a worry of a lot of people, rest assured, there will be many in the same position as yourself. Maybe you'll meet a future prince or princess (who will most certainly be posh) - you only have to look as far as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

ok. 40% of students are non-state school, which means 60% ARE state school. but this is only the British students - 47% of students are internationals (mostly Americans and third culture kids but many asians who are integrated in the student community in a way that they are not at any other uni in the country)

Of the 40% non-state school, it does not follow they are posh - just that their parents do well. The posh contingent are mostly a source of banter within the uni, it is also possible to be both posh and nice, and this will also heavily depend on what hall you are in (Andrew Melville vs Sallies) and what subject you study (Art History vs Physics)
Original post by A Rolling Stone
ok. 40% of students are non-state school, which means 60% ARE state school. but this is only the British students - 47% of students are internationals (mostly Americans and third culture kids but many asians who are integrated in the student community in a way that they are not at any other uni in the country)

Of the 40% non-state school, it does not follow they are posh - just that their parents do well. The posh contingent are mostly a source of banter within the uni, it is also possible to be both posh and nice, and this will also heavily depend on what hall you are in (Andrew Melville vs Sallies) and what subject you study (Art History vs Physics)

speaking of halls... what are the differences in terms of communities between them?
Reply 11
Original post by A Rolling Stone

I was unaware of these specific statistics. Also, I can't tell the tone of your post, are you conversating or just telling me?

Despite that, I was only trying to reassure people that, although there is a certain reputation, that doesn't mean all is bad. Why does being posh and nice depend heavily on where you live? I am inclined to disagree, but I am very interested in what makes you say that.
Original post by Bxxnxs
I was unaware of these specific statistics. Also, I can't tell the tone of your post, are you conversating or just telling me?

Despite that, I was only trying to reassure people that, although there is a certain reputation, that doesn't mean all is bad. Why does being posh and nice depend heavily on where you live? I am inclined to disagree, but I am very interested in what makes you say that.

i meant it depends on what halls you are in, for example Melville is specifically reserved for less-well off people
Reply 13
Original post by Rosieg100
I’m going to St. Andrews uni starting 2020 to study physics, I currently don’t know many people from my school who are going and I’m looking to make friends with people hoping to study there.

Hi! I'm considering St Andrews for English :smile:. Glad to meet another offer holder!
Original post by r.a.t.logue3
Hey guys, there’s a group on Facebook under the name of ‘Saint Andrew’s University Offer holders and Applicants 2020’! ☺️

I tried to get on it but no one has accepted me
Hiiii I’m probably going to St Andrews for Psychology in 2020, or well, hopefully I can considering what’s going on right now. Nice to meet you guys :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Dogsledding
I tried to get on it but no one has accepted me

Same, I tried as well.
Original post by mrsflash1682
Hiiii I’m probably going to St Andrews for Psychology in 2020, or well, hopefully I can considering what’s going on right now. Nice to meet you guys :smile:

I going to study psychology are you MA or Bsc
Original post by Dogsledding
I going to study psychology are you MA or Bsc

BSc :smile:
Hi! I'm going this September too to study film studies and Spanish. I don't know anyone at all who's going so it'd be nice to get to know someone who is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending