The Student Room Group

Data Science - Sheffield/Surrey/St Andrews?

Hi guys, I've got an offer from Sheffield, Surrey, St Andrews University for MSc Data Science. I'm trying to decide which one could you share more about your experience in academics and student life? Any advice would be appreciated thank you!
Ooh, I got an offer from Sheffield as well but I was offered an alternative from St Andrews. Still waiting for Surrey. Interested too, to see if there's any reply. Overall ranking wise I think Sheffield is the best. Did you apply anywhere else? City is so popular but its ranking is so low. I'm not interested to go into academics after, so graduate employability reputation like City has is incredibly tempting.
Reply 2
Original post by dislikechocolate
Ooh, I got an offer from Sheffield as well but I was offered an alternative from St Andrews. Still waiting for Surrey. Interested too, to see if there's any reply. Overall ranking wise I think Sheffield is the best. Did you apply anywhere else? City is so popular but its ranking is so low. I'm not interested to go into academics after, so graduate employability reputation like City has is incredibly tempting.

Are you doing a postgraduate in data science too?:smile:
I only applied to those 3 and got offers for all but I'm struggling to decide which one to choose.
Sheffield's city looks really nice though! What do you think of it?
Yes, I am! :smile: I am considering City as well- ranking is not so high but they seem to have good graduate employability.

I do like the city, and I saw that the accommodation seems cheaper as well. With the coronavirus situation though, I am incredibly worried. I'm still waiting for some funding from some of my local government agencies (I'm an international student) but if I can't get any I'm afraid I won't be able to go. :frown:
Original post by dislikechocolate

Is it their placement scheme that makes City so popular?

Original post by nikkikchia
Hi guys, I've got an offer from Sheffield, Surrey, St Andrews University for MSc Data Science. I'm trying to decide which one could you share more about your experience in academics and student life? Any advice would be appreciated thank you!

In terms of choosing the right course, I'd look at the modules and the professors to assess the teaching. Also think about what things matter most to you. For instance, I want to live at home - so one of my priorities is somewhere with a short commute. The general consensus is usually to go for the one with the highest rank but City is managing to attract good quality candidates despite this so the discussion is nuanced.

Congrats on your offers. I'm also applying for MSc Data Science. Applied to KCL, Surrey, QMUL & City and only had offers from the latter two so far.
(edited 4 years ago)
What's your current level of knowledge of statistics? I can tell you a little about the St Andrews course.
Original post by TCA2b
What's your current level of knowledge of statistics? I can tell you a little about the St Andrews course.

Hi TCA2b,

Would you be able to let me know about the mathematical background that is required to do well for the MSc Data-Intensive Analysis course? I have coding experience but no solid mathematical background, based on the course entry requirements and modules it seemed that it was tailored for those who do not have a strong background in mathematics but have coding experience.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by dataSciStudent
Hi TCA2b,

Would you be able to let me know about the mathematical background that is required to do well for the MSc Data-Intensive Analysis course? I have coding experience but no solid mathematical background, based on the course entry requirements and modules it seemed that it was tailored for those who do not have a strong background in mathematics but have coding experience.

Thanks in advance.

It's suitable for those who have neither, really, but you will get much more benefit out of it if you build up your knowledge of statistics, because their more in-depth module on R (also covering topics such as Monte Carlo simulations), which really teaches you the programming aspect of it, assumes prior knowledge of stats and extends that knowledge. When are you intending to apply for it?

You don't require any prior knowledge though, it's just that to complete certain optional modules you would need some mathematical background.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
It's suitable for those who have neither, really, but you will get much more benefit out of it if you build up your knowledge of statistics, because their more in-depth module on R (also covering topics such as Monte Carlo simulations), which really teaches you the programming aspect of it, assumes prior knowledge of stats and extends that knowledge. When are you intending to apply for it?

You don't require any prior knowledge though, it's just that to complete certain optional modules you would need some mathematical background.

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

I thought that the 'Introductory Data Analysis' module was intended to teach students the necessary statistics knowledge for the course or does even this module assume undergraduate level statistics?

I intend to study it this year if I can get a place. I have studied quite basic linear algebra and calculus at undergraduate level but not really statistics. If I was able to get an offer, would you say it would be best to prepare by studying statistics rather than more advanced linear algebra and calculus?

Also can I ask which modules that you are referring to that require more of a mathematical background?
(edited 3 years ago)
No worries. The Masters can be done by someone with no background in coding or maths, because the module you mention does teach you from scratch. Mind you, both the coding and maths modules move fast, so some preliminary study wouldn't hurt, but you don't need a background in coding or maths to do them, so don't worry about that.

The module I am speaking about is called Computing in Statistics, and that does require a decent maths background, which by the sounds of it you have. Strictly speaking, the intro courses would get you to where you need to be, but the problem is the modules take place concurrently.

My advice to you would be to get in touch with the university and ask them for the required level of maths for it in advance, because it is by far the most valuable module on that masters if you intend to go into data analytics/data science. That isn't to say the others aren't good, but it's a much deeper dive into the subject. You still have a month or so and I think that's enough time to get to where you need to be to be able to handle that module but again, get in touch with the university now to determine the gaps you need to fill in. It is mainly statistics you would need to catch up on. They don't really cover linear algebra or calculus to any great degree, but again, best getting the info straight from the uni.

Dr Carl Donovan - the lecturer for many of the modules - is a really great guy! Very helpful, knowledgeable and he has such an engaging lecture style.

Depending on your optional module choices, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some Java (Data-Intensive Systems) or Javascript (Information Visualisation and Visual Analytics) practice in, but I'd focus more on the stats if you're considering Computing in Statistics.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
No worries. The Masters can be done by someone with no background in coding or maths, because the module you mention does teach you from scratch. Mind you, both the coding and maths modules move fast, so some preliminary study wouldn't hurt, but you don't need a background in coding or maths to do them, so don't worry about that.

The module I am speaking about is called Computing in Statistics, and that does require a decent maths background, which by the sounds of it you have. Strictly speaking, the intro courses would get you to where you need to be, but the problem is the modules take place concurrently.

My advice to you would be to get in touch with the university and ask them for the required level of maths for it in advance, because it is by far the most valuable module on that masters if you intend to go into data analytics/data science. That isn't to say the others aren't good, but it's a much deeper dive into the subject. You still have a month or so and I think that's enough time to get to where you need to be to be able to handle that module but again, get in touch with the university now to determine the gaps you need to fill in. It is mainly statistics you would need to catch up on. They don't really cover linear algebra or calculus to any great degree, but again, best getting the info straight from the uni.

Dr Carl Donovan - the lecturer for many of the modules - is a really great guy! Very helpful, knowledgeable and he has such an engaging lecture style.

Depending on your optional module choices, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some Java (Data-Intensive Systems) or Javascript (Information Visualisation and Visual Analytics) practice in, but I'd focus more on the stats if you're considering Computing in Statistics.

Thanks again for such a helpful and detailed answer.

I will ask the university directly.
Reply 11
Original post by dataSciStudent
Thanks again for such a helpful and detailed answer.

I will ask the university directly.

Did you get the admission for Data Intensive-Analysis that year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending