racketgamer98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Assuming the world gets back to normal by September/October I hope to start a masters in international relations. I have recieved an offer from all three of the unis listed above. However, I am unsure as to which of them I should choose, I'm leaning towards Sussex as Brighton seems a nice place and it has extensive list of optional modules. However, the other two are highly regarded for the subject and it might look better to have either a Russell group like York or a Top 10 uni like Bath on my CV when applying for the civil service, NGO and other jobs in the sector. Which would one you choose? Anyone have a similar dilemma? Anyone have any experience of the politics departments in these unis?

Would be really grateful for responses😁
maggiehearne123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m in a similar situation! Trying to decide between York and Sussex for BA International Development. I’ve heard the teaching is way better at York but the course is new this year so not sure if that will be the case, or if there will be the same careers opportunities as Sussex which is top in the world for development studies. Do you reckon the reputation of the uni really matters? Also I never actually got to visit Sussex cus of coronavirus so do you know what the campus and surrounding area is like? Sorry, feel like I wasn’t much help for all your questions )
racketgamer98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Yeah I see your dilemma. I suppose for development studies in particular I would choose Sussex due to its outstanding ranking above the Harvards and Oxfords of the world, even if it does rank as high on national league tables as York. I did get a chance to visit Sussex at a November open evening event so did get to see the campus (although it was mostly in the dark). It seems nice enough with some modern buildings though all 1960s plate-glass unis have some buildings that are grey, concrete horror shows but that probably isn't much different from many other UK unis that were established/expanded during that period. My sister is at Southampton Uni which has a similarly unappealing campus. I also had a chance to drive around Brighton briefly and it seemed nice as well though doesnt seem like a car friendly place. (I was looking for a somewhere to eat quick but couldn't find anywhere to park so gave up) Still seems like loads to do there, and constantly ranks as one of the best student cities in the UK so your unlikely to be bored. Only downside is after your first year you would likely have to catch the bus rather than walk to campus I think. If it was any other time I'd tell you go down there and decide what you think for yourself but nevermind. 😕 I looked on 'student crowd' and it doesnt rank as highly as York for student experience nor teaching (if you believe the TEF awarding system) Really comes down to whether you care about the 'Russell Group' label for your undergrad and which course fits more with your interests. Did you get a chance to visit York Uni by any chance?
maggiehearne123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by racketgamer98)
Yeah I see your dilemma. I suppose for development studies in particular I would choose Sussex due to its outstanding ranking above the Harvards and Oxfords of the world, even if it does rank as high on national league tables as York. I did get a chance to visit Sussex at a November open evening event so did get to see the campus (although it was mostly in the dark). It seems nice enough with some modern buildings though all 1960s plate-glass unis have some buildings that are grey, concrete horror shows but that probably isn't much different from many other UK unis that were established/expanded during that period. My sister is at Southampton Uni which has a similarly unappealing campus. I also had a chance to drive around Brighton briefly and it seemed nice as well though doesnt seem like a car friendly place. (I was looking for a somewhere to eat quick but couldn't find anywhere to park so gave up) Still seems like loads to do there, and constantly ranks as one of the best student cities in the UK so your unlikely to be bored. Only downside is after your first year you would likely have to catch the bus rather than walk to campus I think. If it was any other time I'd tell you go down there and decide what you think for yourself but nevermind. 😕 I looked on 'student crowd' and it doesnt rank as highly as York for student experience nor teaching (if you believe the TEF awarding system) Really comes down to whether you care about the 'Russell Group' label for your undergrad and which course fits more with your interests. Did you get a chance to visit York Uni by any chance?
Thanks for your reply, that’s really helpful! Yes I did visit York uni - it was very much a concrete jungle which wasn’t great. I think I’m leaning towards Sussex more now as I’ve found I can do the course alongside Philosophy which I’m really interested in and I think Brighton is more the place for me. Good luck with your decision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.57%
I need help researching courses (12)
7.19%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.79%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
42.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.8%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.78%

Watched Threads