The Student Room Group

Sausage-like mass under right rib cage, unsure if it's serious or not

Recently I have found this hard mass under the right side of my rib cage, it's not circular but kind of the shape of a small 3cm (ish) sausage. When I press on it, it does move unlike an actual bone. Also when I lie down it's very visible.At first I didn't think much of it, but when I came across a video about gallstones, I felt like I related to it in a way, as at the late december, beginning of January I experienced some odd pains especially in the neck, upper chest, abdominal area and upper back, I couldn't find a reason as to why, I went to the doctors twice and one told me that I was experiencing anxiety pains, and the other said I had a viral infection. I honestly felt unusually exhausted during this time, but it did ease off in mid February, but there was always odd sharp pains which felt like they were in my nerves in my arms/hands which would come and go.It's only until recently I have now started experiencing odd uncomfortable pressure where that lump is, as if it was pushing up against the other organs/bones. (I'm not really sure how to describe it?) More so when I'm lying down on my back, and on my right side. It's caused a disturbance in my sleep from how uncomfortable it feels, and I have been getting mild aches and cramps all in my upper abdominal area and epigastric area which have lasted hours. Obviously with this pandemic going on, I don't know if it's that serious to be able to book an appointment or if I could just live with it until it's over? The pains aren't that bad, just annoying from time to time, I just worry it'll get worse if left if it is something serious, but of course this could be nothing, thus why I'm asking here if anyone has any insight?
Might be a lymph node

I would get it checked out as you’ll probably just get sent for a xray typically a ultra sound for a lump as I go for these monthly due to me having hundreds of mixed lymph nodes and tumours to a genetic condition I got

If it is a lymph node it will disappear but could go in 1 day it might not go for 100 years ( you get the idea )

If it bothers you and if it is sore. They can surgically remove them using a keyhole surgery so it scar will literally be 1-5cm maximum since it’s in a area where skin is stretchy. Although depending on location like I say I had one remove on my eyebrow and the scar is smaller than 2cm and healed nicely > I had one on my neck but that is slightly bigger.

It’ll most likely be a plastic surgeon who removed it and they’re amazing.

Have you got many birthmarks? If you do you’re more likely to get them.
Reply 2
Hey there, would you mind keeping me updated on your condition. I will do likewise as I have discovered basically the same thing just last night. I think my lump is slightly bigger than 3cm so very concerning. I'm in the same boat with not wanting to get it checked just right now but it is slightly reassuirng that this seems to be a fairly regular problem if the internet is anything to go by. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest