izzy-stones
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, I really want to have a job in engineering, it's the only thing I've been interested in as a job. The issue is, I thought I did really well in GCSE Physics and Maths but didn't get the grades needed to take it at A Level. In the classes I was working towards a grade 8 in Physics and a grade 7 in Maths but ended up with a 5 in Physics and a 6 in Maths so haven't been able to take them for A Level. I really don't know what to do to be able to gain a job in engineering as any course at uni wants me to have A Levels in both Maths and Physics any help?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Engineering degrees are commonly available for those without A-level Maths and/or Physics via a foundation year - you spend a preliminary year 0 studying the requisite maths and physics before moving into the first year of the degree course (subject to attaining specified progression criteria). You will however need to take exams in physics and maths type areas (or using those skills) both in the foundation year and throughout the degree; you will need to identify what went wrong in your GCSE exams to make sure it doesn't affect you again moving forward!
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by izzy-stones)
So, I really want to have a job in engineering, it's the only thing I've been interested in as a job. The issue is, I thought I did really well in GCSE Physics and Maths but didn't get the grades needed to take it at A Level. In the classes I was working towards a grade 8 in Physics and a grade 7 in Maths but ended up with a 5 in Physics and a 6 in Maths so haven't been able to take them for A Level. I really don't know what to do to be able to gain a job in engineering as any course at uni wants me to have A Levels in both Maths and Physics any help?
An Engineering Foundation Year is the answer to your question! Just make sure you do well in whatever A-levels you are taking.

Artful has summarised the main points pretty well however bare in mind you will need to work extra hard because the maths and physics only gets more difficult in engineering and if you can't grasp the basics easily you will struggle a lot.
Last edited by trapking; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (69)
28.05%
England (83)
33.74%
Belgium (20)
8.13%
Germany (30)
12.2%
Spain (3)
1.22%