The Student Room Group

What university should I choose?

I've already received offers from all the unis I've applied to, and I thought that I'd already made up my mind about which uni I'm going to, but I'm having second thoughts. I've applied to Lancaster, York, Bristol, Exeter and King's College - which out of the five would you say has the most potential in terms of future employment? In terms of course quality? I'm also a bit wary of King's because I'd prefer to be out of London (and everything is just ridiculously expensive), but would it be considered the best out of the five? I'm an international student and I've only been able to visit Lancaster, so I basically know nothing about what the rest of the unis are like (also about their reputations)

What would you say is the best choice?
Reply 1
Original post by melodiekane
I've already received offers from all the unis I've applied to, and I thought that I'd already made up my mind about which uni I'm going to, but I'm having second thoughts. I've applied to Lancaster, York, Bristol, Exeter and King's College - which out of the five would you say has the most potential in terms of future employment? In terms of course quality? I'm also a bit wary of King's because I'd prefer to be out of London (and everything is just ridiculously expensive), but would it be considered the best out of the five? I'm an international student and I've only been able to visit Lancaster, so I basically know nothing about what the rest of the unis are like (also about their reputations)

What course are you doing?

So only in a general sense (as Im not knowledgable enough tocompare about politics uni courses specifically between these unis)

Employability:
All are very good little in it but imo Bristol & Kings has a slight edge over the others (but only slight).

Most international uni: Kings (all UK unis are very international, but London attracts more international students then the rest of the UK).

Price/living costs: Id say York & Lancaster will be cheapest, the North is considerably cheaper than the south.
Reply 3
Original post by SnelgA
What course are you doing?

I'm doing politics and sociology/social sciences.
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
So only in a general sense (as Im not knowledgable enough tocompare about politics uni courses specifically between these unis)

Employability:
All are very good little in it but imo Bristol & Kings has a slight edge over the others (but only slight).

Most international uni: Kings (all UK unis are very international, but London attracts more international students then the rest of the UK).

Price/living costs: Id say York & Lancaster will be cheapest, the North is considerably cheaper than the south.

Thank you. Do you know the kind of overall reputation of each university? I obviously didn't do much research before applying.
Which campus at Exeter? Exeter or Cornwall?
If you plan to stop at bachelors, i’d go by ranking and course content.
If you plan on studying further, my advise is to look at what relevant research is coming out of each university and choose the one that best aligns with your own interests.
Thank you. Do you know the kind of overall reputation of each university? I obviously didn't do much research before applying.

All these unis are very well regarded, you could pick any of them & have excellent career prospects, close enough that if there are any non-career preferences I would pick that uni.
Kings & Bristol are very strong unis (behind Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL but thats about it)
Reply 8
Original post by Kinyonga
Which campus at Exeter? Exeter or Cornwall?

Streatham
Reply 9
Honestly, I would say Exeter or York are your best options if we are removing Kings due to it being in London. Personally I didn't like Bristol when I visited so I may be a little bias there. Exeter and York are both in very beautiful areas of the UK and are continuously ranked as some of the best universities in the UK and are Russell Group. Exeter is very highly looked upon and has fantastic job prospects. Exeter is also very strong for politics and is a key university for it. Despite this, all of the universities are good choices and I am sure you would be secure in wherever you choose to go.

Bristol. that was easy.
Original post by hrusse2
Honestly, I would say Exeter or York are your best options if we are removing Kings due to it being in London. Personally I didn't like Bristol when I visited so I may be a little bias there. Exeter and York are both in very beautiful areas of the UK and are continuously ranked as some of the best universities in the UK and are Russell Group. Exeter is very highly looked upon and has fantastic job prospects. Exeter is also very strong for politics and is a key university for it. Despite this, all of the universities are good choices and I am sure you would be secure in wherever you choose to go.

Is there a reason you didn’t like Bristol?

Hello,
Congratulations on receiving all your offers!
If you have any questions about Lancaster then let me know and I hope I can help you to make a decision.
If you want to speak to current students on the course you're interested in then you can use UniBuddy: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ - they can answer questions about content and teaching etc.
In terms of cost, Lancaster is definitely the cheapest place on your list to live!
Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Is there a reason you didn’t like Bristol?

Personally, I found it to be very disorganised and some people were quite rude. The accommodation also wasn’t very nice and the places I visited were quite dingy and Bristol itself was very expensive. However, I am sure that this is not everyone’s experience!
I did Social and Political Sciences at York so happy to answer any questions you might have about the department or the wider uni!

In general, they’re all really good unis but are very different so factors such as city vs campus style uni, modules available, accommodation choice etc are all going to be important - this should all be available online so don’t worry about not being able to visit :smile:
Original post by Chris2892
If you plan to stop at bachelors, i’d go by ranking and course content.
If you plan on studying further, my advise is to look at what relevant research is coming out of each university and choose the one that best aligns with your own interests.

Excellent advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending