Poppix
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m thinking of doing law and just want to know peoples views on it.
I will be going to a uni in Scotland so what ones do you recommend?
Also what highers did people take for law?
oliviawilsonnn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Regarding highers there are not really any specific subjects, however, they should all be academic. Also, probably English as well as another writing based social science.
My parents are both practising lawyers in Scotland and the best universities to study law in to get a traineeship afterwards are definitely Glasgow and Edinburgh. So, I would make those the top of your list. However, universities like Aberdeen, Dundee and Strathclyde are also good for law.
So, those would be my five choices in Scotland.
I think that law is a great subject to study. That being said, I would keep in mind that as a working lawyer you will not have a great work-life balance ie. 18 hour days, 5 or sometimes 6 days a week. This is tough but for people who genuinely love the area, they don't mind. I for one, am probably going to study law.
Also, do you have any particular areas of law in mind?
Hope this was helpful.
Poppix
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by oliviawilsonnn)
My parents are both practising lawyers in Scotland and the best universities to study law in to get a traineeship afterwards are definitely Glasgow and Edinburgh. So, I would make those the top of your list. However, universities like Aberdeen, Dundee and Strathclyde are also good for law.
I think that law is a great subject to study. That being said, I would keep in mind that as a working lawyer you will not have a great work-life balance ie. 18 hour days, 5 or sometimes 6 days a week. This is tough but for people who genuinely love the area, they don't mind. I for one, am probably going to study law.
Hope this was helpful.
Thank you this has been good.
bigbruhmoment
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Just wanna add that if you're in Scotland currently take advanced highers. To get into the top law schools they require top grades, for example, Glasgow requires at least 2 adv highers at BB and Edinburgh want 5A's at higher. Keep in mind too that Glasgow requires you to sit the LNAT which is a separate exam and costs £50. Aberdeen/Dundee/Strath are slightly easier to get into but still require good results.

In terms of subjects to take, I know that Strathclyde requires a B at higher English and C in nat 5 maths but after that, there aren't many requirements. Though definitely watch out for unis like Edinburgh cause there's some subjects which they don't accept such as photography.

Also, take into account that Glasgow and Edinburgh do not offer the dual-qualifying LLB for Scots and English law. This is offered at the other three unis mentioned though.

Overall, my only source is being rejected from Glasgow and Edinburgh this year aha but good luck!
EsraH
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by oliviawilsonnn)
Regarding highers there are not really any specific subjects, however, they should all be academic. Also, probably English as well as another writing based social science.
Hope this was helpful.
do you think the ranking here https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law is for Glasgow Scots Law or Common Law? or maybe combined?

do you think studying common law in Scotland- if you want to work in EU- is a good idea? I have offers from Durham, Bristol and Glasgow but cant decide which one to choose. Is it better to study LLB in UK rather than studying Common Law in Scotland? My heart is set on Glasgow tough
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.67%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.88%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (36)
22.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.2%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise