Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
B1561 – Child Sex Offences Bill 2020: LiberofLondon MP

An Act to provide for whole-life tariffs for paedophiles.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1) Definitions

For the purposes of this Act:—

a) "child sex offence” shall refer to an offence under sections 5-19A, 25, 26, 45, and 47-50 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
b) "whole-life sentence" shall refer to a sentence given to an offender, to be served for the duration of his life and without possibility of parole or release.
c) "paedophile” shall refer to a criminal that commits a child sex offence.

2) Sentencing

a) Should a paedophile be convicted he is to be given a whole-life sentence, regardless of at whatever age he committed a child sex offence.
b) Section 269 (4) of the Criminal Justice Act shall not apply to paedophiles and Section 2 (a) of this Bill shall apply instead.

3) Extent, Commencement and Short Title

a) This Bill extends to the whole of the United Kingdom
b) The provisions of this Bill come into force on Royal Assent.
c) This Bill may be cited as the Child Sex Offences Bill 2020.

Notes:
Mr Speaker, the rape or sexual abuse of a child is one of the gravest acts that can be committed by a member of society. By the very nature of child sex abuse it prohibits the abuser from being a member of civilised society, and means that the abuser cannot safely be a member of society. It is essential that we prevent people who have done these immeasurable harms to children from being released from prison and committing similar acts, and this Bill does that. Mr Speaker, I urge all members of this House who oppose paedophilia and these deplorable crimes to vote Aye on this bill.

Section 269 (4) of the Criminal Justice Act prevents paedophiles under 21 from receiving a life sentence - a dangerous state of affairs when they can commit their wicked acts in society
username5228090
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A very black and white bill when there's a whole lot of grey in any legal situation.

Feel particularly uncomfortable with the idea of a life sentence for an 18 year old who's slept with a 15 year old. Yes in the eyes of the law it's bad, but as I understand it, the law as it stands understands these situations far better than this which would just send someone with so much potential to prison.
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Aph coming to say there is nothing wrong with pedos in 3...2...1...
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I am certainly voting Aye.
There's being a criminal and having the chance to be rehabilitated, and there's being downright evil.
EDIT: Yes, I recognise that some scenarios aren't downright evil and are more "misguided" as one member put its, however I will still support this bill. Most people who are under 18 do not get convicted of it, for the record.
Last edited by SnowMiku; 7 months ago
username5228090
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
There's being a criminal and having the chance to be rehabilitated, and there's being downright evil.
So you are saying an 18 year old sleeping with a 15 year old is downright evil? Or just misguided as people grow up...

This is not a good bill.
Iñigo de Loyola
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I thank the hon. members for their support.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
So a 17-year-old who has sex with a 16-year-old should face a whole-life tariff?
username5228090
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Aph)
So a 17-year-old who has sex with a 16-year-old should face a whole-life tariff?
This.

Really concerned by the number of members who seem to not think about nuance in a time like this.
SnowMiku
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by northernwomble)
So you are saying an 18 year old sleeping with a 15 year old is downright evil? Or just misguided as people grow up...

This is not a good bill.
I was more meaning those who commit other sex offences, not specifically that scenario.
However, people are well aware of consent and the laws surrounding what age people can consent.
username5228090
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I was more meaning those who commit other sex offences, not specifically that scenario.
However, people are well aware of consent and the laws surrounding what age people can consent.
Except this law doesn't provide for any understanding of this situations. Its using a sledge hammer for the job of a screw driver.

A blanket life sentence will result in people who have not done moral wrong being in prison and made to seem evil when realistically they fell in love with someone a year or two younger than themselves.
Iñigo de Loyola
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Aph)
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Ahem...

As for the concerns about people in the same year at school being arrested for having sex, Section 9 of the Sex Offenses Act says
(1)A person aged 18 or over (A) commits an offence if—
(a)he intentionally touches another person (B),
(b)the touching is sexual, and
(c)either—
(i)B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over, or
(ii)B is under 13.
There is no way a 17 year old could be prosecuted under British law or under this Bill for sex with a 15 year old - the law only applies to people above the age of 18 having sex with people under the age of consent.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
One of the provisions of this act is:

You could be sentencing 13-year-olds to whole-life tariffs for having sex with their 12-year-olds boyfriends or girlfriends... Are you really okay with that?

"5 Rape of a child under 13

(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person with his penis, and

(b)the other person is under 13."
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Ahem...

As for the concerns about people in the same year at school being arrested for having sex, Section 9 of the Sex Offenses Act says

There is no way a 17 year old could be prosecuted under British law or under this Bill for sex with a 15 year old - the law only applies to people above the age of 18 having sex with people under the age of consent.
You are wrong as above.
Iñigo de Loyola
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Aph)

You could be sentencing 13-year-olds to whole-life tariffs for having sex with their 12-year-olds boyfriends or girlfriends... Are you really okay with that?

(a)he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person with his penis, and

And right on cue, Aph defends 12 year olds having sex.

I am shocked that members of this House would defend paedophilia.
SnowMiku
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Aph)

This bill states that those who are prosecuted of committing child sex offences would be subject to a whole life order.
If someone was 13 or 12, they would certainly not being getting prosecuted.
I understand your viewpoint however.
username5228090
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Ahem...

Why do we have to have such a rigid tarriff here - do you not trust Judges to make appropriate decisions.

Could you not at least make it so the maximum is life, but the minimum is something not as ridiculous so that the nuance actually still remains?
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There needs to be leeway for skets who pretend they are over age and bait boys.

But generally Aye.
username2998742
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
nope. too much gray area. are you really gonna do this for an 18-and-one-day year old who sleeps with a 15-and-364-day year old?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
LiberOfLondon your bill hands life sentences to the 15 year old who had a girlfriend send him nudes, the 18 yr old couple who has sex at a wild house party and their sibling's 15 yr old friend sees, a 21 yr old teacher kissing a 17 yr old pupil after s/he has left his/her classes or the 18yr old who sleeps with their 15yr old partner.

Do you really want to give life sentences to these people?
username5228090
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
LiberOfLondon your bill hands life sentences to the 15 year old who had a girlfriend send him nudes, the 18 yr old couple who has sex at a wild house party and their sibling's 15 yr old friend sees, a 21 yr old teacher kissing a 17 yr old pupil after s/he has left his/her classes or the 18yr old who sleeps with their 15yr old partner.

Do you really want to give life sentences to these people?
Hear Hear
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (895)
42.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads