The Student Room Group

Honest Opinions please

Alright im sure this question has been asked many times however im going to ask anway

If I study Law at Portsmouth? am I wasting my time?

I done pretty average/bad with a DMM in Engineering

I been told that it will be difficult to get a training contract even with a First at Portsmouth.How much truth is there in this statement

I only have a offer to study Meng Computer science at Portsmouth, i thoguht maybe i should do this and be a Copyright/Data breach kinda Lawyer ?

And i also got a offer to study computer science with a foundation year but i'mnot bothered with a foundation year , thats at angila ruskin btw

Any help?
Original post by sirhazthe1s
Alright im sure this question has been asked many times however im going to ask anway

If I study Law at Portsmouth? am I wasting my time?

I done pretty average/bad with a DMM in Engineering

I been told that it will be difficult to get a training contract even with a First at Portsmouth.How much truth is there in this statement

I only have a offer to study Meng Computer science at Portsmouth, i thoguht maybe i should do this and be a Copyright/Data breach kinda Lawyer ?

And i also got a offer to study computer science with a foundation year but i'mnot bothered with a foundation year , thats at angila ruskin btw

Any help?

It depends what sort of TC you want.
Its hard to get a TC anyway..
There isnt that much difference between a first and a high 2:1 for TCs.

Lot of law firms apply an A level criteria. You would fall there.
Plymouth probably has less of a reputation and less contacts.
It wouldnt rule you out of getting a good TC as some firms pay no heed, but some do.

If you want to be a lawyer then you are going to have to be determined and committed.

I think I would do an access course, get good results and then go to a more competitive uni.
Reply 2
Genenerally speaking , would it still be hard to get a training contract even with a First at Portsmouth? if so then why do people bother going to these universities
Original post by sirhazthe1s
Genenerally speaking , would it still be hard to get a training contract even with a First at Portsmouth? if so then why do people bother going to these universities

It would be hard due to the fact that most Law firms will still look at A levels (or BTEC equivalent) - they wouldn't overlook them even if someone had a First.

People still go to unis with poor A level grades because they still want to get a degree or enjoy the uni experience - also most other employers aren't as fussy as Law firms. This gives you an idea of the sort of grades many Law firms set as their minimum.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria
On your other post you suggested Portsmouth were going to offer you a swap to Computer Science without foundation. Is that the case. You also have the list that I have given you and there will be many others. That list was for guidance only. Somewhere like UWE would be a good option though on a par with Portsmouth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending