Self Teaching Higher Human Biology

Watch this thread
Nara_shortcake31
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I really want to study higher human biology but my school doesn't offer it and I also wish to apply for medicine so it would be more relevant for me as well. How hard is it to self teach this subject? How much time would be required? How should I revise? What resources do you recommend (I plan on using BBC Bitesize)?

I am also planning to take Higher English, Higher Chemistry, Higher Maths & Higher psychology. Basically 5 highers but one of them is self taught. Is it manageable?

How would I be assessed & how would I do the examinations?
stereotypeasian
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
why aren't you doing higher biology
Labrador99
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nara_shortcake31)
I really want to study higher human biology but my school doesn't offer it and I also wish to apply for medicine so it would be more relevant for me as well. How hard is it to self teach this subject? How much time would be required? How should I revise? What resources do you recommend (I plan on using BBC Bitesize)?

I am also planning to take Higher English, Higher Chemistry, Higher Maths & Higher psychology. Basically 5 highers but one of them is self taught. Is it manageable?

How would I be assessed & how would I do the examinations?
Does your school offer higher biology?

If so, just take that - none of the universities care about whether you have done biology or human biology, as schools generally offer one or the other - they're both counted equally.
Nara_shortcake31
Rep:
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
why aren't you doing higher biology
I want to do human bio instead, it is far more interesting and relevant for me.
Nara_shortcake31
Rep:
(Original post by Labrador99)
Does your school offer higher biology?

If so, just take that - none of the universities care about whether you have done biology or human biology, as schools generally offer one or the other - they're both counted equally.
Oh but I want to do human. It is far more interesting and relevant for me. Higher bio has to do with plants & animals and it's soo boring
chubchubbs
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Oh but I want to do human. It is far more interesting and relevant for me. Higher bio has to do with plants & animals and it's soo boring
Lmao I did Higher Biology, because my school didn't have human biology, and it's not just plants and animals. That's only one unit that delves into that. Studying 4 highers along with self-studying another higher is going to be extremely difficult and BBC Bitesize alone isn't going to cut it.
Labrador99
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There will pretty much always be parts of qualifications you don't like, whether you're at school, uni or whatever It's only one unit & if you want to do medicine and pick AH biology, you'll have to spend half the course doing plants and animals (there is no AH human biology) anyways.

I'm not against self teaching, as I have done it, but when there's a teacher there and it's a case of preference rather than need, I'd pick that over self teaching.
Nara_shortcake31
Rep:
(Original post by chubchubbs)
Lmao I did Higher Biology, because my school didn't have human biology, and it's not just plants and animals. That's only one unit that delves into that. Studying 4 highers along with self-studying another higher is going to be extremely difficult and BBC Bitesize alone isn't going to cut it.
I see thanx for the info
Nara_shortcake31
Rep:
There will pretty much always be parts of qualifications you don't like, whether you're at school, uni or whatever It's only one unit & if you want to do medicine and pick AH biology, you'll have to spend half the course doing plants and animals (there is no AH human biology) anyways.

I'm not against self teaching, as I have done it, but when there's a teacher there and it's a case of preference rather than need, I'd pick that over self teaching.
I see thanx for the input

I see thanx for the input
ItIsMeTheLord
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Mr Mitchell is a youtuber and he goes over the higher bio course if that helps you in any way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
26.8%
As I expected (49)
32.03%
Harder (56)
36.6%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.58%

Watched Threads