The Student Room Group

do you have to sit all your a levels at the same sixth form?

Also, is it too late to apply to sixth forms/colleges?

I'm being pissed about by my head of sixth form at my current school because she won't let me take the subjects I need, I don't want to go elsewhere and I'm very far from other schools..
Is it possible to sit two a levels at sixth form, and either self teach or attend night classes/college for the third?

I'd love to take A level German, but my school isn't offering it for our year (they alternate each year with French and German, our year is French) I haven't done GCSE German but I learn the language for fun on my own, and I have family members who know German fluently and one who is a German secondary school teacher.
Can I just attend sixth form for two subjects or is that not allowed? I'd ask my head of sixth form but I don't want to be more annoying than I already am :frown:
I'm pretty sure most/all college will require GCSE German to do the a-level anyway. It could be that if you can prove you're of an adequate level (equivalent of a grade 6-7 at GCSE), they'll let you on but it's not guaranteed.
I don't think you can attend two sixth forms/colleges simultaneously, and sixth forms/colleges will require you to be enrolled on at least 3 courses.
I think, unless it was a really ridiculous commute, you'd be better of going to a college further away and doing the subjects you want.
I travelled an hour (ish, was longer if it was early morning or late finish-rush hour) either way when I was at college. If I hadn't done this, I wouldn't have been able to do a-level music, which I needed to do. I'm going to be starting a music degree in September, so it was near-compulsory. Other people travelled a lot longer (I'm pretty sure some people would leave the house at 6:30 to get to college for 8:30). If it's doable, go to the college where you can do the subjects you want.

Quick Reply

Latest