Placement at University of Bath as an International Student

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I am an international student (Japanese) who applied to the University of Bath. I recently received a conditional offer for BSc Management with a placement year starting in 2020, but I have a question about this placement.

One of the reasons why I chose this course is the opportunity for a placement year as a part of the program, but I know that this placement position is not guaranteed... Is it very difficult to go into the placement even if it is included in the course? Also, are there any students who got a graduate position after this placement?

I am curious to know the answer to this question especially because I am an international student and getting a placement is likely to be very crucial in my later career. Is it also possible for international students like me (I am from Japan) to get a placement position?

I hope someone could answer it or let me know something about placement
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I am an international student (Japanese) who applied to the University of Bath. I recently received a conditional offer for BSc Management with a placement year starting in 2020, but I have a question about this placement.

One of the reasons why I chose this course is the opportunity for a placement year as a part of the program, but I know that this placement position is not guaranteed... Is it very difficult to go into the placement even if it is included in the course? Also, are there any students who got a graduate position after this placement?

I am curious to know the answer to this question especially because I am an international student and getting a placement is likely to be very crucial in my later career. Is it also possible for international students like me (I am from Japan) to get a placement position?

I hope someone could answer it or let me know something about placement
Hey,

Congratulations on your offer!

Great to hear you are interested in doing a placement year, I couldn't recommend it enough! It's a great chance to get your foot in the door of a company, get familiar with application processes and earn some money! Personally, I really enjoyed having a break from studying too.

As you mentioned, you can also land a graduate job if you impress! Just judging by my friends' experiences, it is not necessarily a guaranteed ticket back, but you might be fast tracked for the graduate assessment centre.

Whilst a placement is not guaranteed, I don't know anybody who couldn't get one and it is definitely possible for international students to secure a placement! There's no denying that it requires a lot of effort and resilience to keep applying, but the Management School at Bath have a lot of support in place to help.

For example...

Professional development programme
- We had lectures in 'professional development' where we learned how to write CVs and cover letters and learned interview techniques which provided a good basis. We also had mock interviews with employers such as Aldi, Mondelez, TJX etc. which were super helpful as they gave us full feedback.

We have a dedicated placements team!
- I had several 1:1 appointments where the placements team really helped me with some of my applications. They took the time to read them in advance of our meetings and gave proper, constructive feedback.
- Additionally, they were always in touch about new placement opportunities, which were uploaded to a huge placement database making it easy to find all the open positions.

We have access to previous students' placement reports!
- Something I found really useful was the Student Placement Reports. Every Management student has to complete one about their placement. As most students at Bath go on placement, its likely there will be someone who you can speak to that has already worked at the company you are applying for. In my experience, they were happy to chat on the phone and share tips for applying!

Well-known employers come to campus regularly
- Employers are on campus all the time. They host presentations so you can get a better feel for the company and the recruitment process.

The Careers Service offer support too
- The careers service host events and fairs throughout the year - I would recommend going to the careers fair where you can speak to 200+ employers in the same room.
- The careers service also advertise skills workshops, practise interviews and recruitment events.

My advice
- Use the placements team to get your applications checked over.
- Contact students who have been on placement at that company.
- Talk to employers on campus.

I hope this helps! If you have anymore questions just quote me! Best of luck

Alice,
Final Year Management Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads