baekie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
now that gcses are scrapped and i'm gonna get my predicted/mock grades, i have no clue what to do. my grades weren't the best but they weren't the worst and i was hoping after gcses and results day i'd be more clear on what my alevel subject decisions would be. i've no clue on what to pick now. i was originally going for english lit, history and pyschology mainly because i thought facilitating subjects would be an easy way out because then i could do a law degree but i really don't want to do those subjects combined anymore nor that degree. i've been interested in dentistry or finance but my grades won't make up for it. any tips on what to do?
myst451
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You're right to be concerned about narrowing options but it's really tough. You are going to change so much in the next two years and the way you do your subjects will be so different to GCSE so it's quite impossible to predict what you'll want to after a-levels.

With that in mind, probably best to start by writing down your favourite subjects (if any). Make sure you take them because you may find after two years of studying for A-levels that you CBA to do the finance degree you planned on doing and so then all your A-levels that you took with the intention of doing finance are a bit useless if you've now decided you want to go back to law. Basically, don't pick your a Levles to fit a career - you've got to pick the ones you can tolerate and get relatively good grades in.

After you've written down your top four then you can think about the future. For example, if you wanted to do medicine/dentistry, you'd need at least two - if not more - science subjects. If you wanted to do economics, you may also think about maths because most uni's require maths as an A -level in order to do an economics degree.

Finally, consider that Uni may not be the best path. Degree apprenticeship? Straight into the world of work?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If your calculated grades will limit your choices or you think you could've gotten better, I suggest revising for the September exam so you could appeal to the sixth form/college you are in if you could switch your choices if you had some other subject you want to do more. I also suggest researching if a finance or dentistry degree is for you and what it entails. For Finance, if I remember correctly, there's no required a levels so you can focus on choosing alevels for dentistry; for dentistry, chemistry and biology are mainly the big ones. Maybe look to what a level science is like and see if that's for you because some times people want to do a medicine-related job but hate the content so you want to avoid that. Maybe look at the subjects you enjoyed at GCSEs to help or any other a levels that interest you enough to make take it?
melieee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Definitely pick the subjects you actually will enjoy - you do not want to spend the next two years of your life regretting what you picked. If you know for SURE that you want to go into medical subjects or science at uni, then obviously go with maths and sciences. However, I guarantee you, you will rethink your degree choice many times during the next two years, so just pick what you enjoy. Luckily I've been set on a law degree for four years, having taken law at GCSE and A Level. At enrolment, a teacher tried to convince me to take English or history because universities prefer that, so I did... Before I even started the course, I dropped English because I knew that I couldn't last two years studying it, even though I did so well in it at GCSE level. In September, I will be joining Cardiff university studying LLB Law, with Law, Sociology and Film Studies as my A Levels, an odd combination to many but at least I did what I enjoyed.

So I really, really advise you to do the same - you may have dentistry in mind, but if you don't actually enjoy doing maths and sciences, you certainly won't get the grades for them if you dread studying for them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (302)
55.72%
I don't have everything I need (240)
44.28%

Watched Threads