The Student Room Group

A Level Sociology Help

Hiya,

As a yr13 A* Sociology student whose exams have been cancelled I am happy to help tutor anyone or answer one off question just PM me :smile:

Emma
I'm worried I'm not remembering content because it seems like so much
Reply 2
Ah yes I had this issue before my first mocks, but honestly if you do constant revision its surprising how much you remember! How are you organising your content for revision? I did mind maps for each individual topic, my friend did flashcards. They help you feel more confident that you know each topic. Also realistically you are never gonna remember absolutely everything about every topic, and really you don't need too. What topics have you covered so far? And I'll dig out some quizzes on them if you want :smile:
Original post by xetx
Ah yes I had this issue before my first mocks, but honestly if you do constant revision its surprising how much you remember! How are you organising your content for revision? I did mind maps for each individual topic, my friend did flashcards. They help you feel more confident that you know each topic. Also realistically you are never gonna remember absolutely everything about every topic, and really you don't need too. What topics have you covered so far? And I'll dig out some quizzes on them if you want :smile:

we've covered culture, socialization and identity and are currently doing family and on the other side we've done research methods and gender inequality and we're currently doing social inequalities.My teachers set next to no work so I've started teaching myself the rest of the year.
I don't know what board you did but we do OCR
Reply 4
We did AQA - Education, Families and Households, Beliefs and Crime and Deviance. Best thing to do would be to do loads of previous exam questions/papers. As well as making a revision resource for each topic
Original post by xetx
We did AQA - Education, Families and Households, Beliefs and Crime and Deviance. Best thing to do would be to do loads of previous exam questions/papers. As well as making a revision resource for each topic

ok thanks
Original post by xetx
Hiya,

As a yr13 A* Sociology student whose exams have been cancelled I am happy to help tutor anyone or answer one off question just PM me :smile:

Emma

i'm in year 12 and im doing aqa, i wanted to ask how do answer long answer questions without wafaling because when i would attempt a 20 or 30 marker all i end up doing is waffle, do you have any tips or advice that can help me with this issue ?
In Y13 Aswell how do you feel about it being cancelled
Reply 8
Original post by Daniella03
i'm in year 12 and im doing aqa, i wanted to ask how do answer long answer questions without wafaling because when i would attempt a 20 or 30 marker all i end up doing is waffle, do you have any tips or advice that can help me with this issue ?

For item questions stick to one writer/concept for each paragraph. I would usually introduce the point, link it back to the question, then bring in the writer and briefly explain their ideas and what it implies. Then move onto AO3/evaluation (no more than 2 lines) Then a concluding sentence to link it back to the question again.

For non item questions I would just replace the evaluation with a second point that is linked eg in a question on labelling theory of crime and deviance I would refer to Cohen (folk devils and moral panics) then add in Lemert (primary and secondary deviance).

I would also suggest writing them and seeing if there's anything you can cut out or make shorter then use that next time. If you want you can send some my way and Ill help you work it out - Emma:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jasmine.bx
In Y13 Aswell how do you feel about it being cancelled

I have mixed feelings on one hand I'm so glad I'll never have to sit an education paper and my mock grades are decent enough. But I did want to do the exams to kinda prove I could do it. You? :smile:
Hello just wondering how you made your notes for sociology because that’s what I am struggling on
Reply 11
Original post by X.dyxned
Hello just wondering how you made your notes for sociology because that’s what I am struggling on

I used the Napier Press Sociology textbooks combined with my class notes to create notes at home that I then condensed into mindmaps. Making notes on lined paper isn't always the best way if you're finding it hard to do then try mindmaps or flashcards. But my top tips for note taking are:
1. Make them as simple as possible while still getting much needed detail - but not too much as realistically in the exam you don't have the time to go too in-depth into a specific theory
2. Use different coloured pens or go back and highlight/underlined
3. At the end of your note section write a summary/define key words

Hope this helps feel free to ask anymore questions 😊
Hiya, I'm going to study A level Sociology this coming September, and I just wanted to ask what is the best textbook for the AQA spec and which is one you used or recommend. Thank you.
Reply 13
Original post by dxnushi.d
Hiya, I'm going to study A level Sociology this coming September, and I just wanted to ask what is the best textbook for the AQA spec and which is one you used or recommend. Thank you.

I used the Napier Press ones, there's 2. They have a lot of detail and lots of example exam questions. I got mine on eBay for a good price, they're second hand but completely fine. Try and get the newest ones if you can I think they were for the 2015 spec onwards. Otherwise there won't be as updated research and the questions are different. Let me know if I can help further

Emma :smile:
Original post by xetx
I used the Napier Press ones, there's 2. They have a lot of detail and lots of example exam questions. I got mine on eBay for a good price, they're second hand but completely fine. Try and get the newest ones if you can I think they were for the 2015 spec onwards. Otherwise there won't be as updated research and the questions are different. Let me know if I can help further

Emma :smile:

Ahh okay, I was so torn between the Collins textbook or the Ken Browne one as they are on the AQA approved site, but I have seen some good reviews on the Napier Press ones. Just wondering, how helpful were they when exams and papers came along, and could you remember information well?
Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending