The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 - Health and Social Care

Hi, I’m a student currently studying Health and Social Care BTEC level 3, and I want to know if there’s even an option for me to drop the subject after the first year? I’m studying the subject for 2 years so it’s not an AS subject, and I don’t enjoy the subject. I currently do 2 other BTECS at level 3 - business and IT. Would it be possible and appropriate for me to ask to drop the subject?
Thanks, Shirley X
Can you tell me what you do on the subject? Ask the head of sixth form. Try to do a course online or from a book.
Original post by Roseyr1119-20
Can you tell me what you do on the subject? Ask the head of sixth form. Try to do a course online or from a book.

I have 2 written exams, and 2/3 coursework units.
ok. What does the course look like?
ok. What does the course look like?

It’s basically learning about the different stages of life, plus how certain aspects of life can affect different circumstances, and using theories to apply to our coursework assignments. For me, exams are easier then the coursework assignments, and I believe I’m receiving a tutor for the subject once we’re back in school. This will help me greatly, and I’m hoping you could perhaps advise me on my current situation, and what I could possibly do to change my mindset.
Original post by Shirleyjyyu
It’s basically learning about the different stages of life, plus how certain aspects of life can affect different circumstances, and using theories to apply to our coursework assignments. For me, exams are easier then the coursework assignments, and I believe I’m receiving a tutor for the subject once we’re back in school. This will help me greatly, and I’m hoping you could perhaps advise me on my current situation, and what I could possibly do to change my mindset.

That will be good for the job that I want.

What are you looking for? Are you currently a student in education?
What are you looking for? Are you currently a student in education?

I want to be a mental health therapist and I am in year 11 without GCSEs. I haven't passed my mocks expect science.
I want to be a mental health therapist and I am in year 11 without GCSEs. I haven't passed my mocks expect science.

You’re capable of achieving the best grades, keep at it. You’ll do great!

Health and Social Care is a great course if your interested in going into the healthcare sector :smile:
Original post by Hazelly
Health and Social Care is a great course if your interested in going into the healthcare sector :smile:

I know it is in the name :biggrin:
Hi, I’m a student currently studying Health and Social Care BTEC level 3, and I want to know if there’s even an option for me to drop the subject after the first year? I’m studying the subject for 2 years so it’s not an AS subject, and I don’t enjoy the subject. I currently do 2 other BTECS at level 3 - business and IT. Would it be possible and appropriate for me to ask to drop the subject?
Thanks, Shirley X

To answer your question, yes you can leave after year 12 and you will have the qualifications from the two exams and the coursework you completed which in this case is equivalent to 1 1/2 of an a level.

Hope this helps! Also I’m doing Health and social Care level 3 so I’d be happy to answer any questions etc :smile:
You’re capable of achieving the best grades, keep at it. You’ll do great!

Hopefully, I only need 4 subjects to pass, Is English lit and lang separated for an overall grade?
Hopefully, I only need 4 subjects to pass, Is English lit and lang separated for an overall grade?

:yes:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hazelly
:yes:

I wasn't interested in the subject in year 9 and I wanted to be a foster carer could've helped.
Original post by Hazelly
To answer your question, yes you can leave after year 12 and you will have the qualifications from the two exams and the coursework you completed which in this case is equivalent to 1 1/2 of an a level.

Hope this helps! Also I’m doing Health and social Care level 3 so I’d be happy to answer any questions etc :smile:

Hi, thanks for the advice. As of right now, I’ve only completed one coursework assignment and exams have been pushed back due to the situation right now. How would I even attempt to ask to drop the subject? This is my main concern. I believe my reasoning won’t be deemed appropriate and it’s too futile to want to drop it. I can’t say I hate it, so I want to drop it. But I seriously do not enjoy the subject. Right now I’m getting merits and I’m on my way to getting distinctions but I’m not certain I can. I seriously struggle in the subject and I’ve spoken to my parents about doing an apprenticeship. What should I do? Should I continue with my studies or apply for apprenticeships? The change of my getting an apprenticeship is quite low, but I can still try to get one. I have a mindset of i want to leave school and get an apprenticeship, but then I also feel I can get through the last year and complete it if only I could drop the subject? I understand if you think I’m weak willed, but I just don’t know what I should be being.
Thank you for your time and patience. X

Quick Reply

Latest