The Student Room Group

Othello Essay Question help (English Lit A level)

I’ve got an essay to do for class on Othello, specifically “‘Iago’s actions are those of an unjustly wronged character’, to what extent do you agree?”.

I’m fine with writing essays, I just don’t know what points to make. Every time I write something I make points about Iago’s motivations rather than whether he was wronged or not. Any ideas on how to stick to the question or points I could make would be much welcomed xx
Reply 1
sure! I got 9 A stars in a level and did the IB so i can definitely help!
You need to make good points
Have a good essay structure
And most importantly,
You need to write an excellent essay. The last one is very important.
Hope that helped :smile: Feel free to ask for more tips!
Reply 2
Wronged:
- Othello picked the less qualified Cassio as his lieutenant instead of Iago despite them fighting together "at Rhodes, at Cyprus, and on other grounds" and even though Venetian noblemen asked Othello to give the position to Iago instead: "Three great ones of the city (in personal suit to make me his lieutenant)" In the militant world Iago resides in, this is seen as a great betrayal, and his later actions can be seen as an act of revenge against Othello for this perceived betrayal.

However, despite his motivations, removing him of all accountability and solely referring to him as "unjustly wronged" can be seen as a stretch, as the methods he uses to destroy not only Othello, but Cassio and Desdemona (who did him no personal harm) go too far for them to simply be considered a simple act of revenge.
Reply 3
Original post by sam3439
sure! I got 9 A stars in a level and did the IB so i can definitely help!
You need to make good points
Have a good essay structure
And most importantly,
You need to write an excellent essay. The last one is very important.
Hope that helped :smile: Feel free to ask for more tips!

thank you so much!! just trying to motivate myself at the minute x
Reply 4
Original post by mtanvir
Wronged:
- Othello picked the less qualified Cassio as his lieutenant instead of Iago despite them fighting together "at Rhodes, at Cyprus, and on other grounds" and even though Venetian noblemen asked Othello to give the position to Iago instead: "Three great ones of the city (in personal suit to make me his lieutenant)" In the militant world Iago resides in, this is seen as a great betrayal, and his later actions can be seen as an act of revenge against Othello for this perceived betrayal.

However, despite his motivations, removing him of all accountability and solely referring to him as "unjustly wronged" can be seen as a stretch, as the methods he uses to destroy not only Othello, but Cassio and Desdemona (who did him no personal harm) go too far for them to simply be considered a simple act of revenge.

Thanks :smile: I was struggling bc it’s so easy to see Iago as pure evil but I can definitely write about that x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending