The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask a Warwick Student!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, can you tell me more about the process when applying for university accommodation?
I needed an ensuite because I have a bad back. I strained my back muscle so running water may ease the occasional pain I suffered, so I take showers frequently.
Will the university take this into account?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, can you tell me more about the process when applying for university accommodation?
I needed an ensuite because I have a bad back. I strained my back muscle so running water may ease the occasional pain I suffered, so I take showers frequently.
Will the university take this into account?

If you need an ensuite due to a disability or illness you can specify this, though you will need to provide supporting evidence from a medical professional. (you can also get subsidies if this is the case) See this link.
Can you tell me more about Cryfield townhouse and apartment? Do you have any pictures of any of these accommodation? There aren’t sufficient information about them on the internet
Can you tell me more about Cryfield townhouse and apartment? Do you have any pictures of any of these accommodation? There aren’t sufficient information about them on the internet

What more do you want? They don't exactly tell you a lot but they would like for you to find out by visiting.
hello warwick student

i am also warwick student

good bye

Been in to Cryfield Apartments - looks basically the same as the concept pictures bar the positioning of some furniture in the kitchen. Have not been in townhouses.

Worth bearing in mind that while these are the nicest and newest - they are probably popular and don't have many rooms, (apartments has 70, townhouses has 150 vs 400+ AV/JM and 600+ at some of the ones in lakeside village [sherbourne has about 800, second largest accommodation apart from rootes]) so you should make sure you'd be happy at your other choices as you should do anyway. [that said - most people seem to be happy at their eventual allocations even if it wasn't their first choice]
Original post by _gcx
I'm a maths student at Warwick and I've just finished my first year. (Warwick first year exams were cancelled!) I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the university, maths at Warwick, or university life in general!

Also answering questions here:

I AM GROOT 1 - LLB Law (First Year)

This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universites, please check out the main list of threads:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Spoiler

Hi, I have a few questions aha

I wanted to ask how you have been spending the past couple of months study wise - were you given the same amount of work/support online as the first two terms of your year? And how was your first year graded with exams cancelled?

What you think the average spending cost is at warwick weekly/monthly excluding accommodation and is it easy to get a job on campus? I would like to have a job that doesn't require many hours during term time, such as a student ambassador - do you have any other recommendations?

Also one of the reasons I chose warwick is because I really want to do an exchange year to S Korea and I heard warwick has good connections with seoul university. Do you know if doing exchange years to korea or just exchange years in general are very competitive or quite easy to get once applied for?
Original post by davit.kim
Hi, I have a few questions aha

I wanted to ask how you have been spending the past couple of months study wise - were you given the same amount of work/support online as the first two terms of your year? And how was your first year graded with exams cancelled?

What you think the average spending cost is at warwick weekly/monthly excluding accommodation and is it easy to get a job on campus? I would like to have a job that doesn't require many hours during term time, such as a student ambassador - do you have any other recommendations?

Also one of the reasons I chose warwick is because I really want to do an exchange year to S Korea and I heard warwick has good connections with seoul university. Do you know if doing exchange years to korea or just exchange years in general are very competitive or quite easy to get once applied for?

No we don't get the same amount of work. Largely because, at least for my subject, there's pretty much no teaching in term 3, (think it's just one optional first year maths [and one stats] module and two optional second year modules) it's all coursework submission and exams. We do have a course to make sure we don't get rusty over the summer but I haven't looked at it yet. First year doesn't count for maths or stats students, the years have now been reweighted 0:30:70 for the BSc and 0:20:35:45 for the MMath(Stat)/MMORSE/MSci Data Science/etc. For a lot of degree programmes the first year never counted in the first place, for example humanities.

I don't know what the average is - I spent between £50-75 pw without paying attention to my spending. You could easily get by on like, half that. I don't know anything about student jobs, sorry - vacancies will pop up on the SU website. Not sure how they'll be effected by coronavirus.

I'd expect it'd depend on what degree you're doing. Maths has minimum (though how tightly these are enforced I don't know - a good 2:1 mark which in terms of the maths department means at least 65% average I believe) requirements for years abroad or intercalated years. Other departments will probably differ, have a look on the website.
(edited 3 years ago)
I thought for MMath the first year is 10% of your degree.

Also if in the accommodation questionnaire I tick I am an extrovert, like being in a crowd, I am the life and soul of any party option will I be allocated a party hall like Rootes or do all accommodation types have students like these?
I thought for MMath the first year is 10% of your degree.

Also if in the accommodation questionnaire I tick I am an extrovert, like being in a crowd, I am the life and soul of any party option will I be allocated a party hall like Rootes or do all accommodation types have students like these?

It is under usual circumstances but because our first year exams are cancelled it's not worth anything for our year. It'll be worth the usual 10% next year assuming exams go ahead as normal presumably.

You'll find people like that pretty much anywhere.
Hey there! Can you tell us as first years, what are the important things to bring to the university? Do we have to bring stuffs such as pans, knives and chopping board?
Hey there! Can you tell us as first years, what are the important things to bring to the university? Do we have to bring stuffs such as pans, knives and chopping board?

You don't strictly need to bring everything - you might find it easier if you buy less and then buy everything when you're here. Ik someone who needed multiple carts (you get one to put your bags on to take to your room) to move their stuff in. You'll need stuff like plates, utensils, mugs/cups, anything you need for cooking (baking trays, pots and pans), stuff for washing up and stuff like that. But anything you forget (or can't fit) you can just buy after you've moved in. I'm sure there are a load of online checklists you can find.
Are you allowed a mini fridge in your room?

Did you find food goes missing from the fridge/freezer?

In shared bathrooms, do some people take a rather long time for showers?

I had the same question about the mini fridge too.
I know some of my friends are planning to buy a mini fridge to put in their room but idk if it's allowed...

I had the same question about the mini fridge too.
I know some of my friends are planning to buy a mini fridge to put in their room but idk if it's allowed...

Strictly speaking no, it's under a list of banned items here: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/residentiallife/lifeinhalls/yourroom/#appliances. If you need a minifridge for medical reasons they can make allowances. In real terms, it doesn't matter and you probably won't get caught as long as it's out of plain sight during inspections. In theory if they find one they'll remove it but whether they actually do that I'm not sure.

No but I didn't have anything people would want to take.

Some people but in my accommodation there was 2 showers in my flat and there was never a time when both were occupied.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Strictly speaking no, it's under a list of banned items here: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/residentiallife/lifeinhalls/yourroom/#appliances. If you need a minifridge for medical reasons they can make allowances. In real terms, it doesn't matter and you probably won't get caught as long as it's out of plain sight during inspections. In theory if they find one they'll remove it but whether they actually do that I'm not sure.

No but I didn't have anything people would want to take.

Some people but in my accommodation there was 2 showers in my flat and there was never a time when both were occupied.

Thanks
How are you finding it?
Is the online learning helpful, or would you much rather go back to uni?
How are you finding it?
Is the online learning helpful, or would you much rather go back to uni?

Pretty good.

Well - I expect that I'll be moving into uni but will definitely have no lectures for term 1 and possibly none for term 2 either. Doesn't really make much difference - the notes are good enough to learn off without the lectures. There's pretty much no teaching in term 3 so I haven't had any online lectures yet but I anticipate I'll just use the notes instead and not bother with the streams/recordings.
Original post by _gcx
Pretty good.

Well - I expect that I'll be moving into uni but will definitely have no lectures for term 1 and possibly none for term 2 either. Doesn't really make much difference - the notes are good enough to learn off without the lectures. There's pretty much no teaching in term 3 so I haven't had any online lectures yet but I anticipate I'll just use the notes instead and not bother with the streams/recordings.

that’s great. i wish you the best of luck with the future!
that’s great. i wish you the best of luck with the future!

you too!

Quick Reply

Latest