Amedits
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi so I’m currently doing 3 a levels and I’m in my AS year. I’m doing English Lit and RE with CCEA and Sociology with AQA. I know sociology AQA is linear, which means I have to sit AS next year along with my A2 anyway. CCEA is different, our AS is 40% of our grade. Basically I am struggling with English lit and with this whole predicted grade situation I will definitely not be predicted a pass. My question is, can I do an AQA in one year privately while I do my A2 next year? Is it possible if I just sat the AS exam and the A2 exam next year or do I have to do 2 years?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Amedits)
Hi so I’m currently doing 3 a levels and I’m in my AS year. I’m doing English Lit and RE with CCEA and Sociology with AQA. I know sociology AQA is linear, which means I have to sit AS next year along with my A2 anyway. CCEA is different, our AS is 40% of our grade. Basically I am struggling with English lit and with this whole predicted grade situation I will definitely not be predicted a pass. My question is, can I do an AQA in one year privately while I do my A2 next year? Is it possible if I just sat the AS exam and the A2 exam next year or do I have to do 2 years?
You misunderstand I think. AQA is linear which means you do all the exams for the qualification at one exam cycle.
Seems to me you are saying you are doing A2+A2+ (AS+A2). If so that is perfectly doable because you are only redoing an AS on top of what you would normally do. The AQA shouldnt be split into A2 and AS, linears are just 3x exams which covers the whole spec.
Amedits
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You misunderstand I think. AQA is linear which means you do all the exams for the qualification at one exam cycle.
Seems to me you are saying you are doing A2+A2+ (AS+A2). If so that is perfectly doable because you are only redoing an AS on top of what you would normally do. The AQA shouldnt be split into A2 and AS, linears are just 3x exams which covers the whole spec.
Ohhh so I can sit a full aqa a level subject in Summer 2021?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
All UK A levels are linear now, so whenever you sit the A level it includes the exams for 2 years work i.e what used to be AS and A2.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you can study all the work in a year then you can just take the A level exams (no need to take the AS and A2 exams don't exist for linear A levels) in Summer 2021. However, don't underestimate the amount of work a whole A level, plus the A2 in 2 subjects will be. You'd need to put a lot of work in.
Amedits
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If you can study all the work in a year then you can just take the A level exams (no need to take the AS and A2 exams don't exist for linear A levels) in Summer 2021. However, don't underestimate the amount of work a whole A level, plus the A2 in 2 subjects will be. You'd need to put a lot of work in.
I’m sorry I’m so confused, if it’s linear then why does AQA still have AS exams? I understand what you mean as people in my college who fast track just take 3 two hour a level papers, but I’d be arranging it myself, so would I just do the 3 a level exams not the AS? And would it still count as a full a level? I’m so sorry for all the questions haha
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m sorry I’m so confused, if it’s linear then why does AQA still have AS exams? I understand what you mean as people in my college who fast track just take 3 two hour a level papers, but I’d be arranging it myself, so would I just do the 3 a level exams not the AS? And would it still count as a full a level? I’m so sorry for all the questions haha
You can choose just to study the first half of the A level content and take the AS exam (and probably stop there). The marks you get do not contribute to any later A level . If you study the whole A level then there is no benefit to taking the AS exam part way through and zero point taking it at the end at the same time as the A level. (Although there is an overlap in content between AS and A level, it may be helpful to think of it as similar to GCSE and A level - there's no actual requirement to take GCSE before A level and how you do at GCSE does not affect your A level except that understanding one is a good basis for the next)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads