GradApp123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sarahloww)
How can i get an A* in history alevels?
Need detailed tips please
It completely depends on your exam board and whether your course is structured with one final exam for each module, whether you do coursework, the percentage weightings for each unit etc. There isn’t a silver bullet that gets you an A*. Candidates who secure an A* usually have a thorough knowledge of each unit and are able to write lucid, sustained and convincing arguments in their essays that satisfy the analytic demands of the unit to a very high level.
Sarahloww
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by GradApp123)
It completely depends on your exam board and whether your course is structured with one final exam for each module, whether you do coursework, the percentage weightings for each unit etc. There isn’t a silver bullet that gets you an A*. Candidates who secure an A* usually have a thorough knowledge of each unit and are able to write lucid, sustained and convincing arguments in their essays that satisfy the analytic demands of the unit to a very high level.
I do AQA for Germany and Tudors
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Sarahloww)
I do AQA for Germany and Tudors
I also do that but I'm in yr 12 as well. My teachers have told me the best way to get an A* is to get the exam techniques down and learn the content because you will know what to write and it will flow to become a great essay however that's not enough and you have to think more contextually so you have to look at the question and see why they use the wordings for that specific question. For example, Did the Treaty of Versailles made the Weimar Consitution weak? First of all, you would think the treaty of Versailles as one of your points in the essay and think of the other things you would put as other points. However, to get the high grades, you need to look further and argue what made it seem the Weimar constitution was weak in the first place or was it just vulnerable. You can also talk about how the people that makes the government strong was losing to support through your factors you talk about but also how the government still wasn't weak since they were still standing and the people's support didn't affect them too much (expect the Kapp Putsch in my opinion).
GradApp123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
To build context I’d suggest you read historical literature on the period and reading regularly will help improve your clarity of expression and register. Do lots of past paper questions and that will help too. Good luck!
Last edited by GradApp123; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads