4 alevels will it be too hard or stressful

Watch
adamm1501
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I would like to study: chemistry,biology,maths and art and design at alevel but was wondering if all of these combined could be to stressful and if they would be hard. i am willing to work hard towards each of them if i know it is possible any help asap would be nice
karis2942
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by adamm1501)
I would like to study: chemistry,biology,maths and art and design at alevel but was wondering if all of these combined could be to stressful and if they would be hard. i am willing to work hard towards each of them if i know it is possible any help asap would be nice
From my experience maths was very work heavy, and I've heard similar things about chemistry and biology. For me and a lot of others it required a lot of independent work at home as the content is a huge step up from GCSE level, so ultimately if you're willing to put the effort in they're great subjects. Also having a more creative subject as well can be great, go for it!!
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
4 a levels can be hard or stressful but it depends on the person so if you can balance the workload, then I don't see why you wouldn't take it. Chemistry and biology is hard work from my friend's experiences but my main concern would be art and design since the coursework might be a lot to handle but then again it can make things a breather for you. Tbh I only do maths and I found maths genuinely easy that I could focus on my two other subject more but this depends on the person again. If you did well in maths at gcse, I think you will find the start of maths a level relatively easier
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Art is a huge subject, and very time-consuming. It's a really bad choice to do as a fourth A level, particularly with three academically-tough sciences.

You don't need four A levels, and your uni offer will be based on three and three only, Doing four gives you no advantage in the uni application process and you are just exponentially adding to your A level workload and significantly diminishing the chances of doing well in the three A levels you actually need.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
From the people I know, Chemistry and Biology are content heavy and Art and Design A Level is very time consuming. Maths requires time and effort but in my opinion isn’t too bad and probably less difficult than the other three in terms of workload (but is perhaps more academically rigorous in some respects so conceptually harder). I would really advise you to just take Chemistry, Biology and Maths, unless you want to go into a career / Uni / apprenticeship that requires or values Art and Design, or unless you think Art and Design is something you’d enjoy and get a good grade at. Otherwise, in my opinion unless you’re good at it and enjoy it, Art and Design will add little value and be of little help if you don’t enjoy it and get a poor grade. You especially don’t want to sacrifice grades in other A Levels by doing four and not three. So, unless you really enjoy all 4 and think they would each be valuable for your future, and unless you’d be willing to work hard to excel in all of them, I’d probably suggest picking your top three (by considering which you enjoy most, which you’re best at and which will be most helpful for your future). Good luck
adamm1501
Rep:
?
Yes I am considering dropping the art as I'm not the best at it and have heard the step up from gcses to a levels can be quite big I think I'll stick to maths chemistry and biology
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Drop the art and design and go for medicine
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
not every person who takes biology, chemistry and maths wants to study medicine...
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
not every person who takes biology, chemistry and maths wants to study medicine...
I’m simply stereotyping
adamm1501
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Yeah I want to go into some sort of medical field such as a degree in medicine so I feel like I should focus on the academics
Possibly this
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm doing Maths, Economics, Government and Politics and Drama & Theatre Studies. I almost did not take Drama & Theatre Studies as I thought I wouldn't be able to manage it with 3 other distinct A-levels but most way through my first year, I've been doing pretty nicely for myself.

I'm so glad I took Drama tbh, it's so demanding but honestly so worth it. The lessons and the content are really interesting and it feels much more purposeful than the more "academic" subjects. Also I wouldn't have the large majority of my friends without taking it.

If you want to take 4 A-levels, go do it. If you really feel like you can't cope, most colleges will let you drop a fourth subject fairly easily. It is manageable, also everyone you will meet will think you're super intelligent because you're doing 4.

Good luck for next year with whatever you do but all I'm saying is don't be afraid to take Art just because it is the path less trodden.
adamm1501
Rep:
?
yes and my art skills arent the greatest and wouldn't be needed to go into the fields im looking at thank you
(Original post by Possibly this)
I'm doing Maths, Economics, Government and Politics and Drama & Theatre Studies. I almost did not take Drama & Theatre Studies as I thought I wouldn't be able to manage it with 3 other distinct A-levels but most way through my first year, I've been doing pretty nicely for myself.

I'm so glad I took Drama tbh, it's so demanding but honestly so worth it. The lessons and the content are really interesting and it feels much more purposeful than the more "academic" subjects. Also I wouldn't have the large majority of my friends without taking it.

If you want to take 4 A-levels, go do it. If you really feel like you can't cope, most colleges will let you drop a fourth subject fairly easily. It is manageable, also everyone you will meet will think you're super intelligent because you're doing 4.

Good luck for next year with whatever you do but all I'm saying is don't be afraid to take Art just because it is the path less trodden.
yes thank you im probably just going to stick to the academic subjects as i am not to in touch with course work and academic learning stimulates me more thanks for the reply though
adamm1501
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Art is a huge subject, and very time-consuming. It's a really bad choice to do as a fourth A level, particularly with three academically-tough sciences.

You don't need four A levels, and your uni offer will be based on three and three only, Doing four gives you no advantage in the uni application process and you are just exponentially adding to your A level workload and significantly diminishing the chances of doing well in the three A levels you actually need.
yes and my art skills arent the greatest and wouldn't be needed to go into the fields im looking at thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (798)
42.09%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads