The Student Room Group

Continue Revising A-Level Maths or Go Straight to Uni Material?

Hi, so i've firmed my offer from LSE to study Economics, conditional on an A* in maths. I was only given an A* prediction because I crammed before tests and did well, not because I am good at maths, I actually find it super hard. However I know walking into Econ at LSE with poor maths can't run.

If I were to sit the full exams right now, I'd probably get a B. So I'm wondering, should I revise really hard to bring my A-Level ability to an A*, to get me prepared for LSE, or since corona has lead to exam cancellations, should I just go straight into learning the uni material, that way I'll only be learning what I need to.

For example, I don't see A-Level mechanics mentioned anywhere in the LSE Econ Course Breakdown, so it seems like a waste of time to revise? But perhaps this is me being naive.

Although I'm interested in your opinion, I think I'm going to go ahead and dive into the uni material, but I'm making this post incase you think there's something I haven't considered in my decision.
Original post by Covid-19
Hi, so i've firmed my offer from LSE to study Economics, conditional on an A* in maths. I was only given an A* prediction because I crammed before tests and did well, not because I am good at maths, I actually find it super hard. However I know walking into Econ at LSE with poor maths can't run.

If I were to sit the full exams right now, I'd probably get a B. So I'm wondering, should I revise really hard to bring my A-Level ability to an A*, to get me prepared for LSE, or since corona has lead to exam cancellations, should I just go straight into learning the uni material, that way I'll only be learning what I need to.

For example, I don't see A-Level mechanics mentioned anywhere in the LSE Econ Course Breakdown, so it seems like a waste of time to revise? But perhaps this is me being naive.

Although I'm interested in your opinion, I think I'm going to go ahead and dive into the uni material, but I'm making this post incase you think there's something I haven't considered in my decision.

Personally, I think that you should definitely continue to study maths. First, if you teachers don't give you the A* grade you'll have to resit in the next academic year, probably in September or October (bu I'm not sure when) - the grades you are getting aren't predicted grades, they are calculated grades and so may be different or go to your insurance choice.

Also, you certainly don't want to be going into a rather hard mathematical course without being up-to-scratch on your maths imo. I think, you should take advantage of your time of school to make sure your maths is beyond A-level level if you can: to make transistioning into uni much easier. You could also look through uni material if you wanted too.

It's also important to take this time to relax etc. and not burn yourself out. Even without the end of year exams year 13 is a lot of work and uni will be as well, so you should also take advantage of the extended break to chill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending