The Student Room Group

What is the lockdown/isolation doing to you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meowmeownerd1
ahahahahhaha that's very relatable.... I have a very hairy upper lip and I usually need to remove all that hair every week but i went two weeks without doing it because frankly I couldn't be arsed to (had nobody to judge me for wearing my stache 😂)

A moustache? That would take me right back to the 80s... Luckily for me, I do not have a moustache problem, just a hand sanitizer problem.
Original post by Oxford Mum
There is nothing wrong with you being as you are. Everybody is different. I am quite a shy person socially, who has to psyche herself up before she goes out, and worries what to say to people. So with isolation I don't need to put makeup on or worry about if anyone finds me attractive, etc.

Sometimes I feel like being out in public is a big act. People think I'm outgoing, confident and chatty, but it's not the 'real' me at all.
Say this louder at the back, I don't think they heard you!

Not paranoia, just good sense. Hopefully you will get some clarity soon about what is happening.

I hope so too... 😭😊
A moustache? That would take me right back to the 80s... Luckily for me, I do not have a moustache problem, just a hand sanitizer problem.

how so? xD
how so? xD

Because I was your age (ie student) in the 80s and I had a boyfriend with a gi-normous moustache.
Because I was your age (ie student) in the 80s and I had a boyfriend with a gi-normous moustache.

ooof
Original post by Deborah_C
Sometimes I feel like being out in public is a big act. People think I'm outgoing, confident and chatty, but it's not the 'real' me at all.

And Oxford Mum is much more confident than me.

So yeah, being out in public is a big act. I am sure others are just as nervous out there as us!
Totally.

I’m confused here, was that sarcasm too? I’m not too god at this.
What was that, Harrys? Sorry, just busy making hand sanitzer in the kitchen out of stale washing up water. Do you want some, at £50 a pop? :s-smilie:

Ooh yes please, what a fantastic bargain!

The other people were charging £75 a pop :tongue:
(Original post by Greywolftwo) Was that sarcasm?

Yes, Greywolftwo, it was sarcasm, and here's why,
I said I never feel lonely, because I don't. I just don't. That's the way I am, it's the way I feel, I understand the way I feel and I'm happy with it. However you tell me "It’s unwise to say you never feel lonely, you will at some point. It’s not healthy to live like this though. You need people who you can talk to"
So you're telling me I'm unwise (you originally told me I was ignorant) to think or feel the way I do, and you tell me it's unhealthy. Really? Is it for anyone else to make judgements on things I do or feel that affect no-one else other than me? What's healthy for you, or right for you might not be healthy or right for me. If you like pizza with pineapple on top and I prefer a curry, does that make me wrong or unwise too? Everyone's different; people have different feelings, different emotions and different ways of looking at things. I just don't get lonely. Some people do.
You then asked me "Why do you actually think you will never feel lonely?" And I honestly answered, "I haven't felt lonely yet, but who knows..." You pounced on that: "Yet, now we’re getting somewhere. ". What do you mean, now we're getting somewhere? You mean at last I'm starting to see things as you see them and you're happy about that. So whatever I think or feel goes out the window, and now it's good that I'm starting to think and feel like you.
Well the fact is - I don't. I don't see or feel the same way as you. I don't get lonely. I'm happy with that. I feel happy knowing that I understand how my mind works. So when you wrote now we’re getting somewhere and I replied "I know. Soon I'll start to think the way you do and become more like you. I'm sure it'll be so much better than being me. " Yes, that was sarcasm. Because I will probably never think or feel the same way as you. I'm not saying you're wrong, unhealthy or ignorant to feel the way you do, you're probably a really nice and amazing person. But you're not me. I'm not you. We're different.
Original post by Obolinda
Nothing. More relaxed as no exams to revise for

Sammeee! What is everyone else stressed about!?

I said I never feel lonely, because I don't. I just don't. That's the way I am, it's the way I feel, I understand the way I feel and I'm happy with it. However you tell me "It’s unwise to say you never feel lonely, you will at some point. It’s not healthy to live like this though. You need people who you can talk to"
So you're telling me I'm unwise (you originally told me I was ignorant) to think or feel the way I do, and you tell me it's unhealthy. Really? Is it for anyone else to make judgements on things I do or feel that affect no-one else other than me? What's healthy for you, or right for you might not be healthy or right for me. If you like pizza with pineapple on top and I prefer a curry, does that make me wrong or unwise too? Everyone's different; people have different feelings, different emotions and different ways of looking at things. I just don't get lonely. Some people do.
You then asked me "Why do you actually think you will never feel lonely?" And I honestly answered, "I haven't felt lonely yet, but who knows..." You pounced on that: "Yet, now we’re getting somewhere. ". What do you mean, now we're getting somewhere? You mean at last I'm starting to see things as you see them and you're happy about that. So whatever I think or feel goes out the window, and now it's good that I'm starting to think and feel like you.
Well the fact is - I don't. I don't see or feel the same way as you. I don't get lonely. I'm happy with that. I feel happy knowing that I understand how my mind works. So when you wrote now we’re getting somewhere and I replied "I know. Soon I'll start to think the way you do and become more like you. I'm sure it'll be so much better than being me. " Yes, that was sarcasm. Because I will probably never think or feel the same way as you. I'm not saying you're wrong, unhealthy or ignorant to feel the way you do, you're probably a really nice and amazing person. But you're not me. I'm not you. We're different.

*applauds* I'ma copy that for use later in life 😁
*applauds* I'ma copy that for use later in life 😁

But it's Copyright. Okay, I'll send you the bill :wink:
But it's Copyright. Okay, I'll send you the bill :wink:

nah I'm broke, I'll make up something on my own if something similar ever befalls me xD
Dying of boredom
Honestly, this lockdown was what I needed. Leaving the house to go to college had honestly become unbearable (I love the college and my subjects but I just hate the way I look) so this has given me a chance to at least find some peace. Even in regards to the social aspect, I now have more time to talk to friends (albeit online rather than in person) as before I didn't really find time for this because of revision. Now I can actually learn the things I want instead of just learning to write in a way that will fit a rigid exam board mark scheme.

The only downside is that I'm considering taking a gap year but I have 1) no one to talk to about how this would work 2) with a vaccine being potentially 18 months away, it's hard to make gap year plans with any certainty. Regardless, I'm still in a very privileged position to have this as my main concern.
Original post by harrysbar
Ooh yes please, what a fantastic bargain!

The other people were charging £75 a pop :tongue:

Ha ha
Reply 77
Original post by harrysbar
I just ordered some off ebay and was smug for five minutes til my husband said it is probably fake :s-smilie:

Wait... You're a girl and ur married?!
This isolation is ****blocking me...
Reply 79

Out of curiosity how old are you?

Quick Reply

Latest